Dyson V7 Motor Head - Not charging properly (Sovled) | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson V7 Motor Head - Not charging properly (Sovled)

• 2 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My daughter gave me this one and purchased the next model up.  I have been using it for some time. 

1. Noticed the blue light was off (in charger) so thought charge had finished. Took it off and nothing.
  2. Put back in charger and blue light not working.
  3. I have just left it in charger and pressed the ‘trigger’ a couple of times and the blue light comes on and flashes for a few seconds and then goes off.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by samwise 3 August 2023, 12:18

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Start here. 😁

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you and I will read this carefully and work through it. 

When the battery faults a red light is usually shown. With the blue light there, I’d lean toward the charger being mis-aligned or faulty. I’d start with that.. 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

OK - read the ‘leaflet’ and checked plug that charger in. That was an issue!  So it is now charging!!! Thank you so much for your help on this.

But- it does do exactly what it was like when my daughter gave it to me -

1. It charges and I can hoover for ‘quite’ awhile so OK for the small jobs I want if it ‘plods’ on.
  2. BUT - if I slide control across to MAX - it will operate for a few seconds and stop and needs to be put back on charger.
  3. At no time have I seen a red light.

So thank you so much as I would have gone straight off to seriously consider buying a new battery - BUT - found this community after checking out Dyson website.  When I saw price of batteries I wondered if I should be saying this one has had ‘its life’ so don’t spend money on it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

P.S. I should say I am 78 years old and because I have back issues - I use an upright hoover (downstairs) as recommended by my physio years ago.  But when my daughter gave me this one it saved me carrying heavy hoover upstairs.  I have wooden flooring upstairs so it is light and does the job. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Glad I could help. 

A quick google shows the MAX runtime for the V7 is about 6 mins.

If you’re not getting that, it could be a sign of a failing battery. Not much you can do in that instance, other than replace it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your thoughts and research.

Basically slide to Max and not even a few secs and it switches off.  So I will continue as I am for now with fingers crossed the battery keeps going a little longer.  (The 30 mins is really enough before I need to give my back a rest anyway.)

Before my daughter gave me hers I did try lifting a few of the more powerful models in a shop. Surprised how heavy they were - so in a way this one suits me if I can avoid choosing between a new battery or a new Dyson.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The V12 might be a suitable replacement. The bin size is a little smaller than the v7 but it has a longer run time and suction power. Importantly, it’s around 2/3 of the overall weight. 

https://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/cordless/v12/detect-absolute-yellow-nickel

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you all for your help.  I think my next one will be the V12.

Excellent support!!!