Understanding Battery Degradation | Dyson Community
Sticky SPOTLIGHTED POST

Understanding Battery Degradation

• 9 January 2023
  • 1 reply
Understanding Battery Degradation
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Since the community became inclusive of all Dyson technology, of late, I’ve responded to discussions surrounding the Cordless vacuums and their battery life expectancy. Specifically, on the belief these should  last for a substantial time past their warranty expiration.

Having a working knowledge of battery development, I wanted to share my own opinion on this subject.

Battery failure is sadly unpredictable. It exclusively can’t be tracked to a singular cause, and it is important to note that this doesn’t just affect vacuum batteries but any rechargeable battery in modern society. The battery in power tools, remote control cars through to that of the rechargeable AA/AAA batteries in use around the home, all fall foul of degradation over time.

A combination of sources can influence the capacity, discharge, and operation of these batteries. These sources are inclusive of, overcharging, undercharging, discharging, local temperature, local humidity, component maintenance, and prolonged impact/damage, all of which have a detrimental effect and diminish the life.

There are measures that can be undertaken to help maintain the battery life throughout the warranty and beyond. The majority of which are commonsensical, keeping out of direct sunlight and storage conditions, when others are less so, optimal charge time and maintaining an average temperate. These should help towards the battery losing capacity at a slower rate. Invariably, battery degradation will occur, the focus should therefore be on maintaining and slowing this rate.

With all this said and done, with existing technology constraints, heavy duty battery manufacturers will only ever cover these for a 1 - 2-year duration. These warranty terms will generally state we as consumers can obtain a replacement within this time. If this window elapses, there is no requirement for businesses to provide a replacement. The only solace manufacturers can really offer for purchasing replacements or investing in new technology, is that the battery development has evolved in the last decade. In some cases, doubled or tripled capacity and runtime.

There are various reports on extending battery life. The majority state the same conclusion as I have. My own research led me a Consumer report carried out in New Zealand.

David.

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @DavidTaylor

This is really valuable insight and something I believe will be a benefit to our owners. Thanks for sharing.

We have two very specific articles designed to help cordless owners in maximise their vacuums battery life and guide them through troubleshooting should any battery issue arise.

1. How to maximise your cordless vacuums battery life
  2. My Cordless vacuum cleaner’s battery isn’t charging, what can I do?

Hopefully this also helps.

Thanks, 

Stuart