Dyson Supersonic Overheating even after cleaning filter | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson Supersonic Overheating even after cleaning filter

• 15 May 2023
  • 5 replies

What else can I do to prevent overheating and power off after ~15 seconds even after cleaning the filter? 

This is a 3-4 year old Dyson Supersonic. After running for a short period it shuts off and has 3 flashing red lights.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 15 May 2023, 22:45

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

5 replies

Logically, if you can leave the filter off and still use it, without any issue, the filter would be the cause. If this isn’t possible, I’d start by replacing the filter. 

Ok, ran with the “outer” filter off and it still overheated. The “inner” filter is silver and doesn’t appear to be able to be removed.

Can I take it apart further

Ok, used a T6 torx screwdriver to take off the two screws holding the silver inner filter. It was definitely the issue. Once the inside was clean it has run for multiple minutes at a time when it previously shut off after only 15-20 seconds.

$9 bucks for the torx screw set and we have a working hair dryer. 

Excellent job! What was the issue? Hair wrapped inside or just grime? 

Ok, used a T6 torx screwdriver to take off the two screws holding the silver inner filter. It was definitely the issue. Once the inside was clean it has run for multiple minutes at a time when it previously shut off after only 15-20 seconds.

$9 bucks for the torx screw set and we have a working hair dryer. 

Lucky you’re outside the warranty, this would have voided it otherwise!!