Cordless - New battery not accepting charge | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless - New battery not accepting charge

• 7 February 2023
  • 7 replies

The battery of my V7 was not accepting charge and had therefore run out.  I have bought and fitted a new battery but the same problem continues.  The machine works off the charge already in the battery but will soon run out.  It looks as though I have wasted the cost of the new battery and I am no further forward.

(Moderation Edit - Tags added/Category Updated)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 7 February 2023, 23:46

View original

7 replies

Hello @David Howells 

We are sorry to hear that the new battery has not resolved the issue and will be happy to look into this for you.

Please check if the blue LED lights occurs on either side of the battery when connected to the charger.

Is the battery charging alright!? If you’re using the dock, the cable port can mis-align. Try taking it out and trying. If it isn’t working, I’d say you need a new charger!! 

Give this post a read over - My Battery isn’t charging, what can I do!?

Hi @David Howells 

Thank you for the information you’ve provided. Based on the issue you’re experiencing, I believe the following links would be useful. 

My Battery isn’t charging, what can I do!? - As highlighted by @Kibbleb, this article mentions the step and measures needed to help diagnose the cause.

In this scenario, I specifically believe the following text would be of help:

Charger or household electrics

When the machines trigger is pulled and the battery has a flashing blue light, this generally indicates the machine has insufficient charge to switch on.

Sometimes, this can be easily resolved by checking where the machine is being charged. If the machine is being charged in the wall bracket, the charging pin may be out of alignment with the machine, which would cause a poor contact and would result in lower charge levels. To loosen the charging pin for removal, push the silver charging contact toward the back of the charging bracket.  

Now, plug it directly into your machine and see if the blue solid light is sustained. If it isn’t, try another electrical socket in the home.

If the machine is being charged without the use of the wall bracket, try another electrical socket in the home.

If the light still isn’t sustained, it could indicate an issue with the charge. To ensure this is the case, please follow the online Troubleshooting option on the local Dyson website. Simple use our Guides and manuals link, selecting your machine from the options available and navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. 

If the light is sustained, wait the adequate time to charge your model and retest the machine.

For any further inquiries please feel free to reach out as we would be more than happy to provide further assistance. 

Thanks, 

I was sent a new charger and this is now working.  I am mystified about why a non-moving part like this should simply cease to function.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @David Howells 

If you ever charge in the dock, it’s possible this can occur - the charging pin may come out of alignment with the machine, which would cause the machine to get a poor contact, which would then result in lower charge levels. 

If you ever experience this issue again and are using the dock, take a look at your charging assembly, and push the silver charging contact toward the back of the charging bracket. That will help loosen the pin and let you remove it from your machine. Please plug it directly into your machine and see if the blue solid light is sustained. Once you are finished, please unplug the pin from the machine and push it back into the socket on the wall bracket until it "clicks" into place. Once you hear that click, the charging pin will be back in alignment and your machine should charge properly. 

Thanks, but I do not use the dock.  Hence my surprise that a part like this, used in very stable charging situations, stopped working. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks, but I do not use the dock.  Hence my surprise that a part like this, used in very stable charging situations, stopped working. 

I’d say it’s just general wear. There could be a number of things which caused it.

A constantly bend to the cable, the odd time where too much force was applied to remove it, a power surge, the plug overheating etc etc etc.. I’ve had phone chargers that have lasted months, where my dyson charger is still going 36 months later. The misconception here is that you’re expecting a part to last well after it’s warranty. Luck of the draw.