Dyson Upright Animal Small Ball Head not Spinning | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson Upright Animal Small Ball Head not Spinning

• 23 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi Folks

I have a Dyson Animal Small Ball. The head does not spin. I press the relevant button and there is the slightest amount of movement and the accompanying noise (very briefly) but the brush bar does not spin. I have tried to "egg" it on, by manually rotating and pressing the button but it's not playing (small)ball.

I've unhooked it and cannot see any obvious blockage or anything stopping the brush bar from spinning. I also don't think it's anything to do with the wiring because the head does "activate" for a second.

Any help is very welcomed.

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 24 January 2023, 09:24

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey Alex.

You might be able to find an answer using their online help tool Support | Upright DC50 | Dyson. I used it a while back for a colleagues cordless, it fixed the problem no issue.

I’d give this part a try Brush bar issue. If the reset doesn’t work, you’ll need to contact Dyson. I expect this is due to needing a replacement part (free in warranty). Before you do make contact, I’d suggest giving the electrical contacts on the cleaner head a wipe down. 

Hey.

This might be a stupid question. Is it reclined? I recall my mother-in-law struggling to use our DC40 and wondering why the bar wasn’t spinning. She assumed she’d broke it when it was fixed upright. 

Kirby.

Hello @alexwilko94 

Thanks for posting a question to the wider community.

Sorry to hear you’ve encoutered an issue with the brush bar.

I do believe, by following our troubleshooting steps in the link, you’ll be able to find a resolution. Let's get your machine working.

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

If you'd prefer, you're welcome to call the Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts directly. You can find their number in the ‘Contact us’ section of the page. 

Thanks. 

Jodey.

Hey. @alexwilko94 

I came across their ‘How to reset your Dyson Small Ball™ vacuum's brush bar’ video on YouTube. I thought it might help you here. 

Kirby.

We had the same experience with our Dyson V7 where the motor head activates only when positioned at a certain angle. We determined this to be a wiring issue after dissecting the vacuum apart and seeing that the black wired connection was broken. This seems to be an ongoing issue with these Dyson vacuums where they are not providing enough slack in their wiring… I found this thread recently which details this same issue… Seems like it’s pretty prevalent 😖

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @LCHEN112

There is little to no evidence that this is prevalent. One individual publishing their opinion on a product past the warranty, with clear sign of wear damage and a few other in agreement is hardly a cause for an outright witch hunt against Dyson for their internal wiring or spreading slander. 

I shared my own opinion, as a professional and now in my retirement as a hobbies. I include this here to help clarify it for others.

“Without a physical inspection, I must say that I am unsure if this is a true indication of the wiring being insufficient in length. As the break looks to be between the power outlet and the axel, overstretching would most likely result in a breakage at the receptacles/outlet.

The break, in my opinion, is consistent with an over extension, against the direction of mobility, through force, overtime. Most akin to bending the ‘knuckle’ past it’s point of tolerance, over a prolonged period. Other factors may have additionally degraded the wiring, weakening this point. Overheating, storage positioning, accidental damage, several impact. I sadly think you’d be hard pressed to prove this was a design flaw.

The electrical short caused by the vacuum going flat, is the result of the wires having insufficient insulation and conduction to circulate the electrical current.”

For others that may encounter a problem with their motorised head not spinning. The Community manager published an article to support in the identification of the cause: Visit My Cordless vacuums brush bar isn't spinning, what can I do?.

David.