How to get 360 Vis Nav to vacuum toe kicks under cabinets? | Dyson Community
Question

How to get 360 Vis Nav to vacuum toe kicks under cabinets?

• 16 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I am having a problem getting the 360 Vis Nav to actually vacuum the “toe kick” under kitchen cabinets.  It is completely ignoring them.

Could re-mapping help?  Can I only re-map the kitchen area and not the whole house?  The Roomba had a little “whisker” that would extend out and sweep these crumbs completely.  

4 replies

Unfortunately, it is not possible to re-map just a part of your house again. You have to re-map everything again. Are you concerned about the map of your kitchen? If the inital map isnt as accurate as your kitchen, i would start with re-mapping all again.

Badge +1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to re-map just a part of your house again. You have to re-map everything again. Are you concerned about the map of your kitchen? If the inital map isnt as accurate as your kitchen, i would start with re-mapping all again.

Yeah, mapping is not working at all for us.  I’ve remapped my entire house twice, but we have a major problem.  Our house has ANGLES.  So the mapping software is completely useless because I can’t put a separator that creates a meaningful zone because everything is at an angle.  

I spent over an hour today with Dyson tech support, and got no answers.  If I want to return it, there’s a limited timeframe, but without usable mapping software, do I just wait and HOPE that Dyson creates a version of the app that has similar features to the oh-so-inferior Roomba, giving me the option to create angled zone dividers?  

But not even trying to vacuum under the edge of the kitchen cabinets makes no sense!  It will go slightly under the edge, then turn around.  It never sticks out the red thingy that sweeps the baseboards.  

I have a thought about what might be happening…the top camera is aligned slightly below the bottom edge of the cabinet (I placed the Dyson here to show…it never goes this far under the cabinet).  Is there a possibility that it sees the edge of the cabinet as an obstacle, and that’s why it won’t go underneath?  The agent suggested that there’s not enough light, but there’s plenty, and I’ve seen it turn on a light on the top when it’s too dark.  Sure, there is a shadow, but you can’t tell me that Dyson’s amazing engineers overlooked something so obvious…a feature of almost EVERY American kitchen.

This should not be a problem as we have a similar situation in our kitchen and it is running under those edges just fine.

You said, that it never goes into edge cleaning mode? When put in auto mode it should clean the edges after it has finished the room.

Still sounds like a bad map to me. It is really important to have enough light during the mapping process. Yes it has a light to lighten up the space its working in, but you should really map your house when its bright enough during the day without the need of any lights.

Badge +1

Still sounds like a bad map to me. It is really important to have enough light during the mapping process. Yes it has a light to lighten up the space its working in, but you should really map your house when its bright enough during the day without the need of any lights.

Yes, mapped during the daytime, and should be light enough…lots of natural light in our home.  We also had all the lights on to make sure. 

I’m glad to hear that yours is working under the toe kicks. I’m wondering if it’s our kitchen map being at an angle, because on the map it’s very zig-zaggy. 

I’ll map again tomorrow…thanks for the suggestion. Dyson says they can’t replace because they’re out of stock. I need to watch every day to see if they come back in stock, then call and hope they’re still in stock. They also said I can drive to the nearest Dyson service center in Denver, which is about 250 miles round trip, but I’ll have to drop it off, then drive back to pick it up. And do all this while my 30-day return window is valid. 😖

The map below shows where we need dividers in yellow, and the rectangular kitchen island and cabinets that are parallel to the island (the mapping tool will not make them smooth because they are at that 45-degree angle).