How do I maintain/wash my Dyson cordless vacuum's filter(s) | Dyson Community
Skip to main content
TIPS - CORDLESS VACUUM

How do I maintain/wash my Dyson cordless vacuum's filter(s)

• 9 March 2023
  • 0 replies
How do I maintain/wash my Dyson cordless vacuum's filter(s)

How do I maintain/wash my Dyson cordless vacuum’s filter(s)?

The filter(s) in your Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner are designed to protect the motor and capture microscopic dust particles and allergens - expelling cleaner air.

Over time these particles can build up and reduce performance. Washing the filter(s) at least once a month helps ensure optimal performance, and prolong the lifespan of your machine and it’s battery.

Just follow the 4 simple steps below: 

1. Remove the filter(s)

Remove the filter(s) from your Dyson vacuum cleaner. Depending on the model you own, there may be either a single pre-motor filter, two separate filters (a pre-motor filter and a post-motor filter), or a single combined filter unit.

2. Remove any clinging surface dust or debris

Gently tap the filter on a sink or container to remove excess dust.

3. Wash the filter

Wash the filter thoroughly under cold running water. Rinse both ends of the filter with running water - shake and massage the filter material with your fingers to release and remove trapped dust particles. Repeat the process until the water runs clear.

Please do not use detergents - these can leave a residue which can reduce the filter performance.

4. Let the filter to air-dry for more than 24 hours

After washing the filter(s), shake and tap the filter to remove excess water droplets. Let the filter(s) dry for at least 24 hours in a warm, well-ventilated area with plenty of airflow, such as next to a fan, inside an airing cupboard, by a radiator or on a sunny window sill.

Please note. The filter(s) must be completely dry before being refitted. Using your machine with a wet or damp filter could cause permanent damage to your Dyson vacuum’s motor. Do not dry the filter in a tumble dryer, microwave or near an open flame.

For further information on the filter cleaning process, visit our support article which includes links to download the user manual and Dyson own online Support:

YouTube

The Dyson YouTube channel also hosts a vast amount of content on the cleaning and maintenance of Dyson products. As well as those that provide tips on using and getting the best out of your Dyson. Simply use the on-screen search option or navigate through the playlists to start viewing these.

Be the first to reply!