Smart Plug and Dyson Fan Heater - Will it work? | Dyson Community
Solved

Smart Plug and Dyson Fan Heater - Will it work?

• 14 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have an old Dyson Fan Heater (A series). I want to know if i can use smart plug with this. When I use it works but doesnt start. I have to manually press on button on the remote. How to sort this?

Thanks in Advance

Sudha

icon

Best answer by Jack 14 August 2023, 16:26

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Inquisitive23,

As a safety feature, your Dyson fan heater will need to be manually switched on each time - either using the remote control, or the power button at the base of the machine. As you’ve correctly mentioned, it’s not possible to rig it to switch on automatically using a smart plug.

Hope this information answers your question!

I had a similar issue, but with an AC unit in my apartment. It’s in a weird location and I have to crouch under my desk to press the power button to turn it on or off each time and the previous renter lost the remote. I looked into smart plugs but the ones I found were rated at 10A, and the AC unit can peak at up to 15A so that wouldn’t work.

The solution I decided on was to use a SwitchBot Bot. It’s a small smart device (~$30) with an actuating arm/lever that gives you the ability to physically push button, flip switches, etc. all from your phone! It connects through an app with bluetooth so I can now turn my AC on or off without having to reach down each time!

The SwitchBot should work for the Dyson purifier + heater as well and allow you to press the power button on the machine to turn it on and off, just like with the included remote, but with much better range, even if you are in another room! (The IR remote doesn’t work through walls or ceilings like Bluetooth or wifi. 

I would however advise against connecting it to the internet, for various safety reasons