Dyson DC49 - Reduced mobility | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson DC49 - Reduced mobility

My DC49 has stopped moving smoothly along the floor catches all the time but once power off moves easily? Have checked everything emptied. Filters etc…

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 15 June 2023, 09:49

View original

13 replies

Have you checked the base? Maybe a wheel has come lose? If it isn’t obvious, I’d give their website help section a try. Quote from a platform mod below: 

“”

Dyson online Troubleshooting option is designed to accurately diagnose problems, and provide a resolution. To get started, simple use our Guides and manuals link, selecting your machine from the options available and navigate through to the ‘Troubleshooting’ page. 

Jump to 11.45. The author shows the base. Check the wheels. 

If the wheels are fine, maybe the cleaner head is sticking. Check that part. If there isn’t anything broken, maybe what your vacuuming is causing the issue. 

Hello @Horace 

Thanks for reaching out. It's always nice to see our members engaging. I thought I'd just step in and add to the information given. 

In most cases, pieces of string or other objects get wrapped around your vacuum's rotating brush or around the wheels of the vacuum.  I have added the following link for you as a step-by-step guideline on following a few checks for your Dyson here 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

Regards,  

Hi thanks for your suggestions we took all the bits of the head and cleaned everything made sure nothing wrapped round the brush… The brush rotates freely the wheels roll all okay until you add power then its as if its got too much suction and i cant roll it on the carpet. Yes, you can if you use brute force, but that’s not why i bought this model as was so light and easy to use as i have Osteo Arthritis …..

Any help would be appreciated….

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In my experience an increase in suction is usually the result of (1) a blockage or (2) where the filters been left out or has seated incorrectly. 

If you’re sure there isn’t a blockage and the filters been washed/replaced, then I am at a loss. You’ve not changed the carpet or flooring have you? 

Thanks I will check filters correctly replaced. It’s just strange that it works fine until we turn power on ! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks I will check filters correctly replaced. It’s just strange that it works fine until we turn power on ! 

Upload a video if you get a chance. 

Just an update. My husband put some furniture polish on the underside of the head and it seems to have solved the problem it’s working fine now. I have also washed the filter and cleaned every possible bit I can… We did consider the different carpet thicknesses but didn’t work on floor covering either. We will have to see how it performs back at caravan when we visit again ! 

See above, worked ok on floors, but same problem on the carpet at the caravan but worked fine there when we first used it there ?? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

See above, worked ok on floors, but same problem on the carpet at the caravan but worked fine there when we first used it there ?? 

It sounds like the profile of the head is sitting closer to the floor. Either a missing wheel or a broken slider. Is there anything missing or broken on the base?

Partial blockage could be causing it to sit lower. Maybe a full stripe down is clean is needed. Good idea about the head sitting closer to the floor. It’s possible.   

Thanks for your comments. We have taken every removable part off cleaned and replaced, wheels are fine, not used that much ! No broken bits ! It’s very odd as have had lots of Dyson cleaners. The animal did have a problem with the heavy battery…. But this has a cable and very light….

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for your comments. We have taken every removable part off cleaned and replaced, wheels are fine, not used that much ! No broken bits ! It’s very odd as have had lots of Dyson cleaners. The animal did have a problem with the heavy battery…. But this has a cable and very light….

The only option left is to have Dyson inspect it. It doesn’t sound like there’s anything obviously. If it worked, then stopped working, it’d think this was the result of a change. if there isn’t one, I am at a loss.