Cordless Gen5 Detect - Wall dock/dok removal help | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless Gen5 Detect - Wall dock/dok removal help

Userlevel 1

There seems to be no way to remove this particular wall mount as once it is locked in position there is no way to remove it.

Please don't give me ludicrous  answers like chat did. The staff at Sydney did not have a clue about this. I have owned machines all the way since v6 and all wall mounts were movable the Gen 5 not unless there is a special tool to get behind and move the lugs as you try to lift it which I doubt. No this one has been designed without removal and repositioning in mind. 

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added/Category Updated)

icon

Best answer by Jack 13 December 2023, 10:27

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Ugh65

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - this had previously come up on the Community, and we provided the following advice:

How to set up the docking station for your Dyson Gen5detect™. This video only shows for those in the markets where the machine is sold. If you have trouble viewing it, please do let me know. 

The dock’s front plate clicks into place at the very top, meaning there aren’t any clips or leavers to undo at the base. It should lift away by sliding it upwards. These can be somewhat tight, so medium force from the base might be needed to remove it. Please make sure all the accessories and the machine is removed before unclick the dock.

Read the full article here - Uninstalling Gen5 Detect Wall Dock

If you get stuck, or need further guidance, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 1

Have you considered a career in politics. The dok won't just lift up. It is locked in position. You obviously have no idea about the functionality of it. Go get one from the depot put it on your wall then ask the strongest person in the room to simply slide it up. Then you can all have a laugh  at their inability to move it 1 mm.

Still don't believe me give it a try. Then talk to the engineers who designed it that way and ask them. They too will agree that unless there is a special tool there is no way to remove it.

All the best.

I have just received mine today, and it baffles me how this was created at Dyson.

Luckily I did not install the wall dock, because I was unable to. You know why? For some reason the back plate was already snapped into the back of the dock and locked in tightly, and for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get it out without breaking it!

Then I was infuriated by such stupidity. Then I ended up here venting my spleen on the lot of you.   

I wonder why there are only a couple of complaints on this issue on this forum? Didn’t these other customers who purchased Gen5Detect realize that they would have to tear down the house if they want to relocate the wall dock? Or they simply don’t care? But why? 

how did they come up with such a silly design? Mine came with the back plate already locked in, so I could not even install the damn thing. Maybe lucky me.

This topic should not be marked as solved — all that has been offered so far are installation videos.

I registered just now to add my voice and frustration to the design of this wall dock. Who would sign off on such a thing? Of all companies I’d expect Dyson to have better design quality control 

The clips that connect the back plate to the mount are so large it is impossible to unclip them without a tool. I separated mine only with two screwdrivers and brute force. If it had been attached to the wall the task would have been impossible.

What’s worse, even when the pieces are locked together, there’s so much play they still rattle and jiggle around and feel cheap. You can see this in the installation videos 

Is there any alternative docking solution available or other recommendations?

Have you considered a career in politics. The dok won't just lift up. It is locked in position. You obviously have no idea about the functionality of it. Go get one from the depot put it on your wall then ask the strongest person in the room to simply slide it up. Then you can all have a laugh  at their inability to move it 1 mm.

Still don't believe me give it a try. Then talk to the engineers who designed it that way and ask them. They too will agree that unless there is a special tool there is no way to remove it.

All the best.

This is an absolutely infuriating design.  I can't imagine what they were thinking.  The user manual for my machine came with a quote from James Dyson stating "Our mission is simple.  Solve the problems others ignore".  This could not be more ironic...

I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. popped right off. I agree it, poor design, but I could still remove it.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. popped right off. I agree it, poor design, but I could still remove it.  

Worked for me. Thanks @George23 

I recently purchased the gen5 cordless vac, which came with the wall dock pre assembled- the wall plate was attached to the dock portion in the box. There is absolutely no way to separate the two pieces. I reached out to Dyson support and the sent a video of how to install it on a wall (not the issue and not helpful) and said just use medium force to pull the dock apart from the wall plate. Medium or heavy force don’t work. The answers on this form go around in circles where Dyson points to the how to install video and says mediums force will remove it. Nope. I tried prying it apart with a skinny screwdriver but that didn’t work either. 

the angled Munson the wall plate locked in when it was assembled and do not seem to have been designed to be taken apart. Any help is welcome, though it seems like the true issue is a design flaw, not a lack of understanding on my part. 

I recently purchased the gen5 cordless vac, which came with the wall dock pre assembled- the wall plate was attached to the dock portion in the box. There is absolutely no way to separate the two pieces. I reached out to Dyson support and the sent a video of how to install it on a wall (not the issue and not helpful) and said just use medium force to pull the dock apart from the wall plate. Medium or heavy force don’t work. The answers on this form go around in circles where Dyson points to the how to install video and says mediums force will remove it. Nope. I tried prying it apart with a skinny screwdriver but that didn’t work either. 

the angled Munson the wall plate locked in when it was assembled and do not seem to have been designed to be taken apart. Any help is welcome, though it seems like the true issue is a design flaw, not a lack of understanding on my part. 

There isn’t a way to pry it apart once it’s together like that. You’ll need to have them send you a new dock. 

To remove it: I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. popped right off. I agree it, poor design, but I could still remove it.  

If it arrives pre-fitted: There isn’t a way to pry it apart once it’s together like that. You’ll need to have Dyson send you a new dock. 

Userlevel 1

I received my Gen5 today and foolishly clicked the back plate into the dock before installing in the wall.

I managed to pry apart the two clips from the dock by using two knives, prying one side and lodging the knife into the gap before the clip can re-engage, then the other side. 

It was a difficult but reproducible process.

When installed on the wall, I think a sharp whack from beneath with a mallet as the only solution (using a towel as padding), with the risk of breaking a clip, the clip recess, or ripping screws out of the wall if not firmly screwed into a wall stud.

Before I proceed with wall installation, I plan on filing/grinding down the clips a little in the hope it will improve removal.

Userlevel 1

I've just completed filing both clips and removed about 2mm on each side. It works perfectly. Easy to remove the backplate with a mild force whilst still provide enough locking for when i install on the wall.

Therefore it should be easy to remove from the wall in future when i upgrade

Userlevel 1

I note there has been a couple of questions on this matter and none have been resolved (even though they are marked solved - which is incorrect) I recently purchased and just received the gen5 cordless vac, which came with the wall dock pre-assembled - the wall plate was attached to the dock portion in the box. There is absolutely no way to separate the two pieces. No amount of force will work, and I don’t want to break anything either. The answers on this form go around in circles where Dyson points to the how to install video and says mediums force will remove it. Nope. I tried prying it apart with a skinny screwdriver but that didn’t work either. 

CAN SOMEONE FROM DYSON OR THIS COMMUNITY PLEASE ASSIST….!   THANK YOU

Previous suggestion from Dyson is irrelevant and not helpful, which is as follows -

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - this had previously come up on the Community, and we provided the following advice:

How to set up the docking station for your Dyson Gen5detect™. This video only shows for those in the markets where the machine is sold. If you have trouble viewing it, please do let me know. 

The dock’s front plate clicks into place at the very top, meaning there aren’t any clips or leavers to undo at the base. It should lift away by sliding it upwards. These can be somewhat tight, so medium force from the base might be needed to remove it. Please make sure all the accessories and the machine is removed before unclick the dock.

(Moderation edit - Comment moved from New Question)

Userlevel 1

Hi, did you ever get this resolved ?  I have the same issue and checking if there is a solution ??  Thanks

Hi, did you ever get this resolved ?  I have the same issue and checking if there is a solution ??  Thanks

Here you go @robdodin 

I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. Using the heel of my shoe. It popped right off. 

Userlevel 1

Here you go @robdodin 

I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. Using the heel of my shoe. It popped right off. 

Ok, will give it a try

New Gen5 detect - design flaw - surprised these have not been recalled as yet!

We had set a notice on our phone to buy this new hoover when it first came out.  My partner likes to work out how things fit together and come apart and realised very quickly that once you had put the back plate together there was no way of prying it apart (without smashing it off the wall!!!)

We took ours straight back to John Lewis who tried removing one from their walls where they had been put up and could not take them down and said they were going to report the design flaw and get back to us, we never heard back.

I am surprised Dyson knowing they have this rookie error in their design have not recalled the product and changed the back plates?!!  We were waiting for this before purchasing another.

I believe most people who have purchases this Hoover and put it up in good faith are not yet aware of the difficulty they will have in removing it from their walls, but this will come more to light once people start looking to upgrade or move their hoovers?

Dyson - sort it out?!!!  We called your team and had a video call with them and they had no idea how to remove it either so returned your product!

Stop evading the question and start finding solutions.

Anyone else had any luck getting them to own up to this terrible design flaw??!!

Userlevel 1

What a shocker…….

I've just completed filing both clips and removed about 2mm on each side. It works perfectly. Easy to remove the backplate with a mild force whilst still provide enough locking for when i install on the wall.

Therefore it should be easy to remove from the wall in future when i upgrade

Great tip Ihoong. Many thanks. Did the same and worked like a charm. 

I recently purchased the Gen5 Detect and need to move the wall mount but it is impossible to detach from the wallplate once installed.  I have read forums here marked as “Solved” but they aren’t!  There are solutions offered which apply to different models, as if the Dyson people replying aren’t even aware of the design flaw in the Gen5 Detect Mount.  I called customer service and the person was helpful but couldn’t figure out how to remove it.  He offered to replace it if I just ripped it off the wall, but Dyson is “out of stock”.  So I’m stuck.  I’ve looked at photos and there are clips part way down the wall plate that need to be disengaged. 

The solutions offered here won’t work.  One solution says “There are no clips to be disengaged” but that is wrong.  This model DOES have clips.  Another solution just offers the video of how to install it.  That doesn’t help.  Someone said hit it hard and it disengages.  I will try that--it might work I guess, but not quite sure how or why it would.  The clips prevent vertical movement of the mounting plate.

Can someone from Dyson actually take a the mounting system for THIS MODEL, and mount it to their own wall, and tell us how to then unmount it.  If you can’t, then a recall needs to happen because this is a significant design flaw. 

Please tell us all how to actually do this.  Thank you.

I recently purchased the Gen5 Detect and need to move the wall mount but it is impossible to detach from the wallplate once installed.  I have read forums here marked as “Solved” but they aren’t!  There are solutions offered which apply to different models, as if the Dyson people replying aren’t even aware of the design flaw in the Gen5 Detect Mount.  I called customer service and the person was helpful but couldn’t figure out how to remove it.  He offered to replace it if I just ripped it off the wall, but Dyson is “out of stock”.  So I’m stuck.  I’ve looked at photos and there are clips part way down the wall plate that need to be disengaged. 

The solutions offered here won’t work.  One solution says “There are no clips to be disengaged” but that is wrong.  This model DOES have clips.  Another solution just offers the video of how to install it.  That doesn’t help.  Someone said hit it hard and it disengages.  I will try that--it might work I guess, but not quite sure how or why it would.  The clips prevent vertical movement of the mounting plate.

Can someone from Dyson actually take a the mounting system for THIS MODEL, and mount it to their own wall, and tell us how to then unmount it.  If you can’t, then a recall needs to happen because this is a significant design flaw. 

Please tell us all how to actually do this.  Thank you.

Agreed Dyson should say more to owners of the Dock. Who knows what they’re doing in the background. I wrote this post 2-months ago. Use the sole of a shoe to clip it off the wall. 

Thanks George.  I can verify that his solution DOES work.  A sharp smack upward from the bottom of the bracket actually does disengage it.  So...George should be given a commission for customer service work here.  Dyson has been abysmal.  The only reply from the Dyson person has been to provide an installation video, or to suggest a solution which doesn’t match this model.  I have not received a reply from the Dyson Forum moderator other than to refer me to this Topic which obviously I had already read.

Very poor design, and poor customer service.  But a good swift wack to the bracket solves the problem :)

Hi Guys,
I finally got these 2 plates separated of wall mounted dyson gen5 charging dock.
please watch my video to find out I how got this removed. video link below

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi all,

In instances where the main body of the Dyson Gen5detect™ vacuum’s Wall dock is difficult to remove from the backplate once affixed to the wall, a firm knock to the bottom of the Wall dock with a solid blunt implement will dislodge the main body from the backplate, allowing removal from the wall. We advise against using a sharp implement such as a hammer, or using the palm of your hand.

If you need any support with your machine’s Wall dock, please contact Dyson Customer Care directly so our experts can take some additional details.

The quickest way to get in touch with our experts is to Live Chat through our Digital Assistant. Once you’ve clicked the round purple button on Dyson.com you can start a conversation with an agent by clicking the agent icon at the bottom left of the chat window.