Gen5detect - Issues with Fluffy Optic Head and Digital Motorbar Head | Dyson Community
Solved

Gen5detect - Issues with Fluffy Optic Head and Digital Motorbar Head

• 15 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi. I have just bought my first Dyson, the Gen5 Detect. I am having a couple of issues with two of the heads.

Firstly, when using the fluffy optic head, the beam of light keeps going off sporadically and the head stops spinning at the same point. Sometimes it will run fine for a few minutes, other times a few seconds. I have to turn the machine off and on again for it to work again and then it may just stop shining the light and the head stop spinning a few seconds later.

Secondly, a similar issue with the Motorbar head. When vacuuming carpet the head sporadically stops spinning. Again, it may work fine for a few minutes or a few seconds and also needs turning on and off again to work properly again.

I have read that hair may be tangled in the heads to make them stop spinning but this has happened since I pulled the machine out of the box 2 days ago. On the very first clean the fluffy head stopped spinning and the light went off after 10 seconds so it isn’t an issue with anything being tangled in the head

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 16 June 2023, 10:49

View original

5 replies

Hi Ryan, 

This sounds akin to a power or connection problem. Throughout the bucket, wand and motorised heads small power connector (duel pin) transfer the power from the battery to the floor tool. If either of these are damaged or misaligned , there will be intermittent power. 

You could do a process of elimination, where you connect the heads to the bucket - that would at the very least tell you if the wand is faulty. 

The other options to to return/exchange it for a functioning model. 

Pete.

Hello @nearyryan 

Thanks for reaching out. It's always nice to see our members engaging. I thought I'd just step in and add to the information given. 

In most cases, pieces of string or other objects get wrapped around your vacuum's rotating brush or around the wheels of the vacuum. I have added the following link for you as a step-by-step guideline on following a few checks for your Dyson here 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

Regards, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@nearyryan. Ultimately, if there isn’t a clear cut reason to why it’s behaving the way it is, I’d follow Pete’s advice and have it replaced. This YouTube video by Dyson might help you find a blockage or power fault. 

Thanks all! I have arranged for the vacuum to be sent back to be looked at and replaced. Pretty disappointed as this is my first Dyson and was brand new out of the box when the issues started. I am hoping the replacement vacuum will restore my faith in the brand.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks all! I have arranged for the vacuum to be sent back to be looked at and replaced. Pretty disappointed as this is my first Dyson and was brand new out of the box when the issues started. I am hoping the replacement vacuum will restore my faith in the brand.

From what I've witnessed, failure rate is very low. Usually attributed to by delivery, shipping or storage before landing in customers hands. Dyson would be lying if they’d said nothing ever goes wrong with their vacuums. Thankfully, they have a warranty and a 14 - 28 day return policy! I’m sure you’ll have better luck next time around 😁

David.