High Pitch Sounds Dyson Purifier Cool Formaldehyde TP09 | Dyson Community

High Pitch Sounds Dyson Purifier Cool Formaldehyde TP09

• 20 December 2022
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 2

This is my second purifier TP09, as I returned and replaced the original due to the intermittent high pitch squealing sound that it produces and now the 2nd model is doing the same thing.  I've researched the community as well as a few other online communities and it concerns me that many people have this same issue and it has not really been addressed as to why and what is the cause.  I do not want to visit a repair center as I've stated that is my 2nd machine and therefore it's not an isolated issue.

It seems to me that there is a flaw in the design that is not being addressed.  It doesn't make sense why it works perfectly fine until it doesn't.  If I change the setting from Auto to a number less than 7 I can hear the high pitch sound loudly, 7 - 10 and it can not be heard that much due to the wind speed overpowering however that is not an appropriate sound level to hear all day and after running at that speed for long enough the high pitch starts up again.

Many people are attempting to purifier their homes, all day, using the auto setting however it seems that is not being tested prior to releasing the product to the public as if it was, it would be heard.

The sound is very annoying and causes panic attacks for those of us that are sensitive.

Please advise as to what can be done to rectify this.  All the hours of troubleshooting and messing with the machine are starting to outweigh the benefits as I end up turning it off most of the time.

I’ve been sending emails and am no longer receiving a response.  It has nothing to do with CM settings and I feel slighted at the amount of money spent and again the lack of response. 

What do I do at this point? 

(Edited by moderator – Tags added) 

Stuart 1 year ago

Hi everyone, 

Great to see a healthy discussion on this matter. Maybe I can even help point to a solution.

One subject that’s sometimes overlooked, is that the noise is being generated through the use of continuous monitoring. When this is active, and when the machine is in a standby state, some users may hear a low humming sound. This is set to auto on, so will need to be switched off in the App, which will stop this sound from occurring.

In instances where the machine is generate a noise or acting in such a way that it is inoperable, we’d recommend arranging a repair. This repair provides our engineers the opportunity to inspect the machine for any potential fault, either caused through the manufacturing process or one caused by user error. This is done by placing the machine on a diagnostic rig. As an example, in the instance the motor is generating an intermittent noise other than that of it’s factory state, this may be the result of motor shaft impact. Where this is present and if it is repairable, a replacement motor will be provided or if it isn’t repairable, a replacement machine will be offered. With this in mind, decisions of this nature can only be made by our engineering team, inspecting and repairing the machine in question. 

The most direct way to arrange this repair is to contact our Dyson Helpline to speak with our experts. To locate their telephone number, simply click on our Guides and manuals link and navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page.

Thanks, 

Stuart

View original

43 replies

Hello, 
I bought my TP09 in march and I’m encountering the exact same issue. It’s driving me crazy. 
I can’t believe Dyson only propose a replacement unit (knowing that the problem will probably still occur). For that price range it’s unacceptable and quite disappointing.  

I’ve had an HP02 (the pure cool and hot, shorter version) and it’s had this problem since Day 1. I contacted Dyson for a replacement and they said they couldn’t replace it since it was not manufactured anymore, and they wouldn’t try to repair it.

I’ve been living with the high pitched noise for a few years, it’s honestly a joke. You fiddle around with it until it goes away, putting the fan speed up and down. But you can’t use it in a bedroom at night because the noise eventually returns and wakes you up, it’s awful. So it sits in the basement, being used a fraction of what we were hoping it would be good for.

I will never buy another Dyson product after this, and certainly have told anyone that’s ever asked me if I liked the unit that it sucks, bad. It’s pathetic that you keep manufacturing these with this issue.

Hello everyone, after reading over all your post about the high pitch noise I now know that it’s not just my unit. Which is quite disappointing. I purchased my dyson purifier cool formaldehyde tp09 a few months back and within the first month I noticed the squeal noise but it went away and came back every now and then. I wish I would have found this thread before making a $700 purchase that Dyson doesn’t seem to have a solution for.

Hello everyone, after reading over all your post about the high pitch noise I now know that it’s not just my unit. Which is quite disappointing. I purchased my dyson purifier cool formaldehyde tp09 a few months back and within the first month I noticed the squeal noise but it went away and came back every now and then. I wish I would have found this thread before making a $700 purchase that Dyson doesn’t seem to have a solution for.

Have you called Dyson for a replacement model? It looks like a fix was applied to newer batches. Maybe your one was manufactured before the fix? I don’t even know if there’s a way to tell!

Have you called Dyson for a replacement model? It looks like a fix was applied to newer batches. Maybe your one was manufactured before the fix? I don’t even know if there’s a way to tell!

Hey jerry no I haven’t called yet I’ll have to do this I just stumbled across this post while researching the cause of the squealing. I’ll try and see if that will help. Thank you.

Hello, can you share where do you lean a fix was applied to fix this issue? thank you

Hello everyone. I seem to have the same issue. I bought mine just recently and it’s been doing this sound  in the video. Blocked filters is for sure not the issue as it’s pretty much new.

Dyson Fan Noise

Does only the TP09 have this problem? I also have the HP09 and it does not seem to make that noise.

Hello everyone. I seem to have the same issue. I bought mine just recently and it’s been doing this sound  in the video. Blocked filters is for sure not the issue as it’s pretty much new.

Dyson Fan Noise

Does only the TP09 have this problem? I also have the HP09 and it does not seem to make that noise.

It’s on all their 09 models by the looks of it. The only solution I’m aware of is calling Dyson for a replacement model? It looks like a fix was applied to newer batches. Anything under two-years old, claim on the warranty. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

My current TP09 has just started squealing. Its heatwave in the UK so its been on speed 7 for a good few hours which seems to have triggered it. :( 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Don’t fall for the lie it’s been fixed. Last year I went through 3 brand new TP09 units and they all did it. Just the other day I bought the TP07 fresh stock recently delivered to Best Buy on August 27. It was fine for the first 2 days and then the noise has started. I thought moving down a model might be the fix. They ALL develop the noise and Dyson continues to get away with it. It’s going back and I am no longer trying any more.  

Hey there,

i guess anybody who has/had a Dyson knows this Issue of a whining or beep-sound that shows up at especially lower Fanspeeds.

I have the PH04

Really don´t know if this is a solvable Issue, or if this comes also with a Exchange-Unit/Device, as i read a lot about it.

How are your experiences with this Problem?

Thanks

Kristofer

Userlevel 5

@kristofer. Defer to the pinned answer above. 

@kristofer. Defer to the pinned answer above. 

Thanks Bob! I know this humming Sound which comes with the continuous monitoring. But we all know, that our Sound isn´t this humming. 

For everybody who hasn´t had this issue i created a little video to imagine this Sound a little bit better.

Just imagine this whistling occuring at 2 o´clock in the night, when you have your Dyson in automatic mode and waking up from this sound. 

Guess im calling the hotline today to get a repair.

Thanks

I have the same problem .

It’s pretty common.
Not only that but they need to approve every thread/message just to control the damage.
My new Big+Quiet thread has not been approved yet and i got auto-replay mail saying that i need to contact support.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s pretty common.
Not only that but they need to approve every thread/message just to control the damage.
My new Big+Quiet thread has not been approved yet and i got auto-replay mail saying that i need to contact support.

What’s in your big+quiet thread?? 

It’s pretty common.

What’s in your big+quiet thread?? 

Nothing because they didn't even approved my thread. . If you want to post freely about Dyson you go post on the Reddit forum , not here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @TP09_user,

Thanks for your comments - I just wanted to clarify that after locating your post relating to the Dyson Big+Quiet™ Formaldehyde purifier in our pending filter, this has been approved and published. You can find it here:

Please be assured no one is trying to suppress your opinion here! If you need further help with your Dyson TP09 purifier, we’d encourage you to continue your conversation with Dyson Customer Care as they’re best placed to help.