Dyson zone with a generic USB-C to 3.5mm cable | Dyson Community
Solved

Dyson zone with a generic USB-C to 3.5mm cable

• 7 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello Everyone,

New owner of a Dyson Zone (not the Absolute+ model) and really enjoying the headphones. The build quality is top notch, the noise cancelling on par with top tier headphones and sound signature very balanced, airy and quite neutral.

As stated in the title I bought the normal model without the travel 3.5mm cable and adapter. The Dyson cable and travel adapter are out of stock everywhere so I decided to acquire a standard (non Dyson) USB-C to 3.5mm audio jack but it seems that the headphones do not recognise it. The generic cable works with other headphones I have. 

Can someone confirm if the headphones only work with the Dyson cable and adapter or if we can use a third party cable? If it only works with the Dyson cable, where can we buy the cables as they are not available anywhere that I can find.

It may also be worthwhile to update the documentation as I did not find anything covering the topic other than one post on this forum showing the setup to listen to airplane entertainment system with the Dyson cable and travel adapter.

Thank you advance,

Happy listening

icon

Best answer by Jack 13 March 2024, 11:41

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

hi,

what are you trying to use the headphones with? on a plane? smartphone? whats the scenario?

i have the version with all the cables but i dont have a generic one to test. 

if you are not getting audio into the dysons, it maybe you need their cable.

the only place i would know to get what you need is direct from dyson. the headphones are not selling as well as they may have hoped, so you are limited on where you an get these niche parts.

Adding @Jack to the mix… 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @W15ard,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and congratulations on your Dyson Zone™ headphones. It’s great to hear how much you’re enjoying them so far. I have a pair myself and I’m finding them ideal for long journeys on public transport!

Just to reassure you, I’m looking into your question around the use of 3rd party 3.5mm audio cables vs the official Dyson In-flight adaptor kit. It is specifically designed to work with IFE headphone jacks within an aeroplane entertainment system, but I’ll come back to update as soon as I have a definite answer on this.

Dyson Zone™ In-flight adaptor kit

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

Thank you @Jack for looking into it. Just FYI, I have the travel adapter already (2 pin one) from other headphones. Would be good if I can use it with my Dyson Zone. 

Looking forward to reading from you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @W15ard,

Thanks for your patience on this!

We would recommend using the genuine Dyson Flight adaptor kit for the best experience, and to guarantee compatibility.

If you can let me know which country you’re based in, I can check when new stock of the Flight adaptor kit is expected.

Hi @Jack,

Thanks for reverting,

I live in the UAE and they are not available in Dyson AE.

Happy to order them online but they seem to be out of stock everywhere,

Best regards

Julien

We really need a firmware update that allows a standard usb-c to usb-c to pass through data to the headphones. They obviously have their own DAC inside, they're wireless headphones. This adapter is not doing anything except some kind of handshake. I want to buy the airline kit too - the cable alone is just insanely high quality and nice to use, but for legacy support of these, we need to not have their wired use when the batteries start to wear out be tied to a cable that dyson can just choose to stop selling.

+1 on @Honeybadgers 's comment above. Having usb c to usb c + generic 3.5mm to usb c support would make them almost perfect. There are many instances where a 3.5mm cable is needed (airplane, connection to hifi...). I also wished a full passive mode was possible as the drivers are really good and could be fully utilised with a powerful headphone amp. 😊

+1 on @Honeybadgers 's comment above. Having usb c to usb c + generic 3.5mm to usb c support would make them almost perfect. There are many instances where a 3.5mm cable is needed (airplane, connection to hifi...). I also wished a full passive mode was possible as the drivers are really good and could be fully utilised with a powerful headphone amp. 😊

I actually managed to trick the zones with a usb-c to 3.5mm that had no dac built into it. Then a double ended 3.5mm to my actual DAC and voila. So the zones are decoding direct analog input. 

I'm still going to buy the airplane kit if dyson makes more - the charging cable really is unreasonably well made and 30 bucks for a charge/audio cable that's built THAT well isn't crazy. 

And I agree that I'd like a passive mode for when the batteries fully die and can't be replaced (replaceable batteries should be mandatory in wireless headphones) but one concern with wireless headphones is how much DSP they're doing digitally to tune the drivers instead of physical tuning with foam and cavity resonance. So I'm not sure I'd really want them to run full passive if they could. I just wish the battery covers could be easily removed and the batteries replaced as they wear. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @W15ard,

The Flight adaptor kit should be available as a spare part within UAE, even though it’s not available as an accessory to order online.

If you call the Dyson UAE Customer Care team, they should be able to process an order for you. You can find their contact details here.

Hope this helps!