TP09 is making a weird "bearing?" noise after some time | Dyson Community

TP09 is making a weird "bearing?" noise after some time

• 23 June 2023
  • 14 replies

Hi,
Its been almost a month since i bought TP09. Because of the allergy season i decided to keep it on all night long. I set it on 5 and on the night mode. Somehow it came to my attention that whenever TP09 works for a long time it starts making a weird “bearing” noise.

Is this a common issue? I think it has the same problem as here.
Can this be fixed by Dyson technician? I don't want a new one with the same issue.
Ive already returned it for the maintenance.

Thank You!

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

14 replies

100% repairable. The description is similar to the one here - Pure Hot + Cool Noisy

within the 2-year warranty you’d be covered for free. Outside of this is charged. Visit the Dyson website and walkthrough their diagnostics for more info 😁

Visit Dyson.com

I didn't pinned this.

So ive got my repaired* TP09 back.

TP09 came back in the same condition.

They even included a card:

The same night ive decided to run TP09 from 01:00 - 05:30 in the night.
Stand: 2 , just to see if the problem still existed (as before):

Somewhere around 05:00 i started to hear the same ‘bearing noise’
but like 20% less. (maybe because its on set on 2). It also feels like that TP09 got a bit heavier.

I’m thinking that TP09 is not capable of running long times unless its on auto-mode.

This purifier caused me a lot of problems and i wished i got something different instead.
There’s goes my €600.

@Stuart can you look into my serial number and see what the technician said/changed/repaired about this unit?

Thank You

Userlevel 5

Any chance of a refund or them doing a straight out exchange? 

Any chance of a refund or them doing a straight out exchange? 

• a return must be made within 30 days from the purchase date (if you want your money back) .
  • If they cant repair it , you will get a new one. If they can repair it you will get your old one back but repaired.
  • 2 years warranty

Doesn’t sound like they’d replaced the motor bucket or repaired the correct part, as mentioned on the post @Spencer shared. I’d push Dyson to replace it or repair it again… 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’ve had this issue on multiple units and not one of them has come back repaired. They’ve always ended up having to exchange (but the new units then emit the same issue after a while) 

Doesn’t sound like they’d replaced the motor bucket or repaired the correct part, as mentioned on the post @Spencer shared. I’d push Dyson to replace it or repair it again… 

I’m done with it.

I’ve had this issue on multiple units and not one of them has come back repaired. They’ve always ended up having to exchange (but the new units then emit the same issue after a while) 

Wow that sucks!
I keep hearing that sound at night and its driving me crazy.
What did you do with the units?

I can hear the Chirping Noise now on almost all settings:

I also found this:

I’ve serviced these before. It’s a problem with the internal motors not being balanced correctly. Slightest incline or a big fall will make it knock out of balance. Take all the filters out, shine a light on the black piece all around. You’ll see 2-3 clear or dark pieces. They are spring loaded you push them in to remove fan. It’s a real pain if one clip is not in line with the others causes for removal of the amp to access the motor piece.
I’ve had a 4% success rate out of 15 machines It’s a hassle tiny tiny screws, lots of tiny parts need to be perfect. Have to remove 10 little bitty stuff to get to the motor. It’s a pain. They are cheap just to replace the an it is to fix it. It’s about a 85/45% success rate at that fixing it. The odds are low that it can be fixed overall.

They blocked me now from posting further on my thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @TP09_user

Thanks for highlighting this. 

Don’t worry, we’ve not blocked or restricted your access. This is part of our automated review. All posts are checked against a set of rules/criteria. Without going into too much detail, if it breaks these rules, it goes into a pending review status. Here one of our moderators should review and approve the post. We’d only ever make an edit if the post breaks our Community Guidelines / Code of Conduct

It seems the video link you provided triggered this automated check, resulting in further attempts in sharing to be captured by the same filter. I’ve approved your post, removing those that were duplicates.

Thanks, 

Stuart.

So after giving up on Dyson support ive decided to fix my TP09 myself.
I browsed the web for the solutions and to see what other problems people are having and what have they done in order to fix it.

I found many things wrong with my replaced/repaired unit.

At the end of the blades , there’s some weird metal sticking out. It looks like this has been damaged by something or its just poor quality.

Some of the blades have dented metal in it. I guess this is the cause of the whistle if its dented too much.(some users had already report it)
It should be smooth but its not.
The alignment of the blades/rotors is way too off.
Its not even in the center.

These are the holes with 3 screws that people say are overheating causing all the noise.
Ive have tighten the front intake screw and put some WD40 all other it.

Greased and without 3 screws it works flawlessly without making any “bearing noise”:
on the highest speed. [10]

Ive assembled it back again, greased every moving part along.
So did that fixed my problem?
Maybe but its only temporarily (until the grease wears off)

I cant hear the squealing/chirping bearing noise for now.

Cya!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So after giving up on Dyson support ive decided to fix my TP09 myself.
I browsed the web for the solutions and to see what other problems people are having and what have they done in order to fix it.

I found many things wrong with my replaced/repaired unit.

At the end of the blades , there’s some weird metal sticking out. It looks like this has been damaged by something or its just poor quality.

Some of the blades have dented metal in it. I guess this is the cause of the whistle if its dented too much.(some users had already report it)
It should be smooth but its not.
The alignment of the blades/rotors is way too off.
Its not even in the center.

These are the holes with 3 screws that people say are overheating causing all the noise.
Ive have tighten the front intake screw and put some WD40 all other it.

Greased and without 3 screws it works flawlessly without making any “bearing noise”:
on the highest speed. [10]

Ive assembled it back again, greased every moving part along.
So did that fixed my problem?
Maybe but its only temporarily (until the grease wears off)

I cant hear the squealing/chirping bearing noise for now.

Cya!

@Stuart worth sharing with the team? It seems the metallic rattle is caused by the misalignment of the blades against its housing and it seems pot luck based on manufacturing 

Its been 1 month after my own repair.
TP09 started making again that metallic/chirping bearing noise.

The irregularities can been seen here:

chirping sound