What specific substances is the voc sensor (purifier) calibrated to? | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

Is there a list of substances the VOC sensor reacts on (or is calibrated on)?

The reason why I am asking is that the autoimmune disease of my wife got worse with moving to a new flat - and there is very likely some off-gasing happening (new furniture, wall colors, wooden floor covering, etc..). 

Whats interesting is that formaldehyde is super super low (0,005 never above 0.02) while VOC goes up to level 5 etc (especially at over 25° and 50% humidity)

And we try hard to figure out what specifically is causing it .. (or not). It seems that formaldehyde is a laging indicator (and the formaldehyde sensor is really only calibrated to this rather than various aldehydes)

Hi @clemensu,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

Your Dyson purifier’s onboard sensors will detect and report on a wide range of particles, gases and VOCs, including:

• Formaldehyde
  • Benzene
  • Nitrogen Dioxide
  • Ammonia
  • Acetic Acid
  • Acetaldehyde

However we don’t have an exhaustive list of every VOC it may be able to detect in your home.

thank you @Jack - the above is a mix of substances tied to various sensors (or is VOC also measuring formaldehyde?).

So again - what substances are firing the VOC sensor up? (at least a NON exhaustive list) .. all other sensors stay kind of quiet - otherwise it’s kind of useless. and also every sensor is calibrated against a specific substance as reference point. I would like to know what that is in the case of the VOC sensor. Lastly, if easier - maybe you can just tell me which sensor hardware is used underneath, so I can try to find out :)

ping @Jack?

Hi @clemensu,

I don’t have anything further to add to this beyond what I’ve already shared. Apologies for any disappointment here!

This does not help @Jack - is there any way to reach out to product on this?