Animal Origin | Dyson Community
Solved

Animal Origin

• 14 February 2024
  • 1 reply

I have just bought an Animal Origin and have a couple of questions. I am based in the UK.

1. Is this an animal 2, 3 or as the name suggests have I bought the first edition of this upright.
  2. On my previous dyson, a DC07 when the dirt bin was empty you could see the new dirt swirling around the bin, like a cyclone. On the Animal I have just bought it doesn’t. Used once for 10 minutes and then emptied. No blockages.
  3. Is the air watts posted on the Dyson website for this vacuum correct. It seems extremely low at 90AW at the hose and only 68AW at the cleaner head. Guidelines would dictate the suction should be much more for a mains powered vacuum and is considerably less than the figures quoted for the Animal 2 and 3 which range from 245AW to 305AW. 

I am not very impressed with this vacuum which although is useable on all floors it seems to lack the suction that my previous Dyson had and seems inferior to my other vacuum which is another popular brand.

icon

Best answer by Jack 14 February 2024, 18:35

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

​Hi @HullGuy

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and congratulations on your new Dyson Ball™ Animal Origin vacuum!

This machine doesn’t include a number within it’s name - our current UK upright range (including the Dyson Ball™ Animal, Dyson Ball™ Animal Complete, Dyson Ball™ Animal Origin and Dyson Ball™ Multi-floor) differs to the range of uprights available within the US. 

At the base of the clear bin, your machine includes ribs called ‘baffles’, which force debris to settle at the base. This helps prevent debris from getting re-entrained in the airflow, keeping the mesh shroud clear of obstructions. The dirt doesn’t need to ‘swirl’ about in the bin base, only as it passes the shroud - what you’ve described is normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Although air watts can help to understand the suction power of a vacuum, it isn’t the only factor to consider. How well a vacuum is sealed, the design of the cleaner head, the motorised brush bar, and the airflow system all play crucial roles in overall power and effectiveness.

We wouldn't expect you to notice a difference in pickup performance between your new machine and your previous one - the cleaner head, brush bar and direct drive mechanism all feature key improvements since DC07 was launched back in 2001.

​Hope this information helps!