Batteries | Dyson Community
Solved

Batteries

• 1 December 2023
  • 4 replies

A few days ago the original battery in my DC59 cordless vacuum died...after at least six or seven years of use, usually most days.
I replaced the battery with a new one (Dyson) which I’d bought well over a year ago, maybe longer. The problem I’ve encountered is that the new battery only lasted for about five sessions before it died.
My question is...has the new battery died so quickly because I’d kept it as the replacement for such a long time?

icon

Best answer by Jack 8 December 2023, 14:34

View original

4 replies

@SimonP  I’d contact your support. Something seems off there. If the machine is actually pulsing or revving, that’s an indicator that an airway is blocke -

If that’s the case-

1. Please load up and follow along with this vide: "checking-for-blockages"

http://ms.spr.ly/6181bUgMh

2. Then - Can you please check the bin inlet ?

In the inlet the wand connects to the clear bin there is a tiny flap. Tilt the machine up and down while looking into the inlet. Does the flap open and close freely? If it's stuck, please remove and wash the bin and poke it with your finger until it moves freely. Make sure the bin is 100 percent dry before putting it back on.

This video can guide you in removing the bin:

http://ms.spr.ly/6186bUg3E

3. Then make sure the filter is washed.

4. Then, can you remove the filter entirely -

Then open the bin door, as if to empty the bin. Test. Check - Does the machine still pulse?

In any case, if that doesn't do it- contact your local support.

HI Adam

Thank you for following this up.

I’m pretty sure my problem was the new battery.

The machine wasn’t pulsing or revving. It wasn’t doing anything. The only thing that was happening was the flashing red light on the battery.

I’d had the battery for at least a year before I started to use it and I suspect it didn’t like sitting idle for so long.

I’ve since replaced the battery (again) and fingers crossed I’ll be OK.

Thank you again.

Simon

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @SimonP,

Thanks for your reply - glad to hear you’ve now got a further replacement battery to get your Dyson DC59 vacuum up and running again.

As you’ve mentioned, it may not have done the spare battery much good to sit without being used or charged for over a year - this can lead to degradation over time. Many of our more recent cordless vacuums include click-fit batteries that can be easily swapped between uses, and with these, we recommend that owners with more than one battery use them on rotation to make sure they get used and recharged evenly to help prolong their lifespan.

You’re welcome to come back to us if you need further support at any point. In case it’s useful, you can find some tips on preserving battery life here.

Thank you Jack