Dyson Repair - Issue | Next Steps? | Dyson Community

Dyson Repair - Issue | Next Steps?

• 18 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Among the MANY Dyson products at our house, we have a new *IN WARRANTY* $1028.36 Dyson Outsize battery powered vacuum purchased 9/4/2022, that started acting like the battery was going bad.   I know this because I noticed the same symptoms on an older model of ours.  BTW, I am an engineer.

When the trigger was pulled, the motor would run for a short time, then stop.   (SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE ORIGINAL POST)

When my wife brought it in for repair to the Dyson Dallas Service Center, the receptionist told her it looked like water damage BEFORE ANY TECHNICIAN LOOKED AT IT.   My wife of course objected -- we know not to expose electronics to water.  The receptionist told her to take it home, wash the filter, let it sit for 24 hours, then if it had the same problem, bring it back.    She did.

When she brought it back, we received a notice that, “of course”, there was water damage and it would cost $350 to replace the seized motor assembly.   Remember, the motor worked when we brought it there!!!

When we received the notice I immediately contact Dyson chat support.  I told them if this was truly water damage, then send me a picture.  They contacted the Dallas service center and told me that this would be handled within 24 to 48 hours.   Neither me nor my wife received any followup.   Absolutely nothing for a week.

I went back to the Dallas service center TODAY to ask to see my vacuum and the alleged water damage.  They were hesitant to show it to me.  I waited for a while as the technician “prepared” my vacuum.   When I inspected it, there was nothing but dust and *a broken wire*  that seemed to have been broken when they were rapidly disassembling it.  I took pictures of the alleged water damage.  

When I questioned the technician about why he was calling the dust corrosion, he tried say the alleged corrosion was the cause of the broken wire.

I asked the technician to put the unit back together and give it to me the way it was when we brought it in.  He went to the back, reassembled the unit, and brought it out with a test battery to show that it powered up.   But now, the motor would not even turn on at all.  He did not fix the wire that he broke.

To be clear, the unit was returned in worse shape than when we dropped it off.  The motor would turn on BEFORE we dropped off the unit.

I am pretty sure I can fix this myself.   *But that is not the point.*

When you have a house full of "Cadillac Class” products from Dyson, some white glove warranty service is expected.   For example, when I brought my $1000 Apple watch in for some troubleshooting, they simply replaced it -- even though I said “please don’t, it is probably just a software problem”.

What really set me over the edge was the 3 OTHER PEOPLE who came into the store in 30 minutes, that were referred by the Dyson national service center, and subsequently told to go pound sand -- we won't fix your in-warranty product.  

One couple was even on the speaker phone with Dyson support with an open case saying the repair is covered, but the Dallas service center would not accept it.   The Dallas service center claimed they were a separate company.

At this point I am at wit’s end with Dyson. It is no longer about the money. 

(Moderation Edit - Sensitive Information Removed)

Stuart 8 months ago

Hi @Vincente

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Dyson always challenge themselves to offer the highest levels of service, so I can only apologise for the experience you’ve had so far - specially when visiting the service centre.

While I will of course make sure your feedback is shared with the relevant departments, I really feel this should be investigated and the local team should provide you with a comment regarding your experience.

It sounds like you’ve already been in contact with the customer service team in market, I’d encourage you to continue your conversation with them and share what you have above for their comment. The local team are best placed to help you further, and are empowered to resolve most issues without the need for further escalation. These issues aren't something the Dyson Community team can directly help you with. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Vincente

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Dyson always challenge themselves to offer the highest levels of service, so I can only apologise for the experience you’ve had so far - specially when visiting the service centre.

While I will of course make sure your feedback is shared with the relevant departments, I really feel this should be investigated and the local team should provide you with a comment regarding your experience.

It sounds like you’ve already been in contact with the customer service team in market, I’d encourage you to continue your conversation with them and share what you have above for their comment. The local team are best placed to help you further, and are empowered to resolve most issues without the need for further escalation. These issues aren't something the Dyson Community team can directly help you with. 

Thanks, 

Stuart