location data doesn’t update | Dyson Community
Solved

location data doesn’t update

• 14 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge
  • Novice Member
  • 3 replies

Hi. When I set my home town as my location, the temperature, pollen count etc show up, but after a while it stops updating. I can only get current data by going back into settings and putting the same location in again. Is there an easier way to update, and/or is it a flaw in the app?

icon

Best answer by Stuart 24 September 2021, 10:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @crk, let’s get this fixed for you. 

We use a complex algorithm to actively report the Air Quality Index results for specific countries and region(s). It is possible that there is an outage on a service, which is affecting this functionality from working. Thought I am not seeing any report of this on my end. I’d therefore need to investigate this further and see if I can replicate it.

Before I do, could I please ask you to check the following?

1. That your Mobile meets the ‘App and Device compatibility’ criteria. 
  2. If not already, can you update to the latest version of the Dyson Link App - ‘Release 5.1.21340’ 
  3. That your Mobile’s language/region is set to the same of that in the App? I.E, English & United Kingdom 
    1. On iOS navigate to - Settings>General>Language & Region.
    2. In the App, log out and when logging back in, it will ask you to confirm your region. View the ‘Setting your machine's home location’ article for help on setting this up in the App.

If all of the above is as expected and you are still having the issue, could you please drop me a PM with the following: 

1. The Mobile device type and software you have.
  2. A confirmation of the Apps software version.
  3. The Time zone and City/town information you are setting in the App.
  4. A rough time frame from when you set the location, to it not updating.

Speak soon.  

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @crk 

Do you still require help with the above article? 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Badge

Hi Stuart - yes please, PM sent as requested. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Stuart - yes please, PM sent as requested. 

Hi @crk,

Thank you for confirming your settings and for providing all the information I requested. I need to reach out to the team responsible for this function of the App and have them look into the caching service, which is where I think the problem might be.

Dyson Cache the outside Air Quality data and update this per each user engagement. I.E if I were to open the app and set my home location to match yours, your Air Quality should update. However, if no one else from your region has opened the app and updated their settings it may not show for an XX period of time.
Now this should update for every user after a certain time period, I just want to get an idea on how long this should be and if there is an issue effecting just your location.

As I also want to replicate the same issue on my device, which seems like it occurs around or after the 24 hours mark, and get a reply from the team, I may need to wait until tomorrow to come back to you with an answer.
If I hear anything sooner, I will let you know.

Speak soon

Stuart

Badge

Hi Stuart 

I wasn’t expecting a resolution instantly, so you’re fine!

Forgive me, but relying on other users to log in to update my info seems a bit odd - I don’t have any other apps that work like that! Some easy way of triggering an update would be very welcome - as I mentioned, I have quite a few apps where pulling down from the top of the screen refreshes the info displayed, which is easy, straightforward, and obvious to an iOS user. Maybe a future update?

Look forward to hearing from you 

crk

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @crk

Thanks for understanding. You’ll be happy to know that I have been able to replicate the issue on my side. Thought not a positive, it’s helped the team and I investigate the cause and shows it is not isolated at a device level.

Through running other tests, it seems like a localised issue to the City/town level. Specifically for what we have selected. 

In terms of how this function is designed to work:

1. Dyson Cache the outside Air Quality Data on our Cloud every hour. 
  2. Our service check if there has been an update to this cached at 1 hour intervals.
    1. if there has, this is pushed to the device.
    2. If there has not been, the Cloud sends a request to the data service to confirm. If new data is available, this is populated and sent to the device.

There isn't an auto refresh function for this feature, as it is designed to update on this 1 hour interval. It is however something I am keen to pass onto our team for future consideration. Thanks for the suggestion.  

In our case, it seems that something is missing after a number of tries that refreshes the data for our selected City/town only. 

I am continuing to investigate this issue with the team and hope to have a definitive answer and fix soon. 

I’ll update you once I know more. 

Speak soon, 

Stuart

Badge

Hi Stuart 

Thanks for the update. Good to know it’s not just me! Always more satisfying to identify a problem that might improve things for others too than discover I just haven’t read the instructions properly…

All the best 

crk

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Stuart 

Thanks for the update. Good to know it’s not just me! Always more satisfying to identify a problem that might improve things for others too than discover I just haven’t read the instructions properly…

All the best 

crk

Hi @crk 

Very much so. It is truly one of the reasons why Dyson have begun this venture into the Community space. Where we can connect to our owners and have in-depth discussions, investigate and where needed, post supporting articles to increase user knowledge, past what our other channels can offer. 

I’ve awarded you our ‘Community Builder’ badge. This is awarded to someone who is recognised for implement change across the community, which by helping us identify this issue and working with us to implement a fix, you have.

The Team and I have run further testing and are now unable to replicate this issue. 

You may need to exit/close your App to see a change in the service. Do remember that we cache the data over a 1 hour period. I would suggest monitoring the change over several hours to ensure that the local data changes through the day. 

Any further follow ups, please @ me. 

Many thanks, 

Stuart