No button on the head for turning the laser on/off | Dyson Community
Solved

No button on the head for turning the laser on/off

• 24 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

Where is the laser on/off switch on the newer model head?

The manual shows a switch on the top right back, but the head I have does not have such a switch and looks like the one posted in this post:

So, how can I turn the laser on/off on this head?

icon

Best answer by Jack 24 January 2024, 11:57

View original

6 replies

I’ve found two versions of the manual, correctly showing the old and the new Laser Slim Fluffy cleaner heads, but the text next to both of them for switching the laser on and off is referring to a switch that can be seen in the old model schematic on the left and missing on the new one on the right.

So, is there a switch on the new one that I am missing, or was the new manual not updated correctly?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @gtolun,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for your question.

We’re always refining our technology, and sometimes changes are made based on testing or user feedback. In this case, we discovered that owners preferred to use the cleaner head with the illumination switched on all the time, so we removed the switch - it added complexity which wasn't needed. 

Depending on exactly which machine you own and when you ordered it, you may see both versions of the illuminated cleaner head referred to in the User guide, or in imagery or video available online.

Hope this helps!

Dear Jack, 

Everywhere I checked online, including the Dyson website and both the old and new manuals as I posted, state that the laser can be turned off, which we'd like to do when our cats are around.

This means that Dyson is misadvertising a feature that doesn't exist and we purchased your product assuming this functionality existed based on your documentation. 

Can you replace the "new and improved" head that's worse than the old one lacking an important feature of being able to turn the laser off, with the old one that has this functionality?

Thank you. 

GT

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @gtolun,

As mentioned above, depending on exactly which machine you own and when you ordered it, you may see both versions of the illuminated cleaner head referred to in the User guide, or in imagery or video available online. This is because the original Laser Slim Fluffy™ soft roller head has been upgraded to the new Fluffy Optic™ soft roller head on some machines as part of a running change. Instead of the original laser light, the Fluffy Optic™ cleaner head uses newer Dyson technology to deliver a much brighter and stronger illumination. You should be able to see twice the particles illuminated, with longer range.

You’re welcome to discuss this further with Dyson Customer Care in your region. Please visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a conversation with our Customer Care team.

We'll look forward to speaking with you!

A "much brighter" laser illumination would make being able to turn it off not to damage the eyes of our pets even more critical!

So, looks like Dyson has done the opposite of what they should have done (adding a button to turn it off a stronger laser, if it wasn't present in the older less powerful laser). 

Regards. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @gtolun,

I can reassure you that the illumination source on the Dyson Fluffy Optic™ soft roller head is safe for domestic use, and poses no more risk than a conventional household lamp. Direct exposure at close range for prolonged periods is extremely unlikely, as the machine is in continual motion while you're using it - and the light will go out as soon as you switch off the vacuum.

Of course, it would be your decision and you’re welcome to look an ordering an older version of the soft roller cleaner head if you prefer - which you’ll be able to discuss directly with your local Dyson Customer Care team.