Sustainability for current and older Dyson vacuum cleaners | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

Hello together,

I have bought a new Dyson V15s submerged in the last weeks and in addition to that, I have been given an Dyson DC45 from my parents. The original battery of the Dyson DC45 is not in an usable state and I had to replace it with an generic one, because the product Dyson DC45 has reached it’s EOL (end-of-life) and thus there are no new batteries for the Dyson DC45 available. The Dyson V15s is an relative new vacuum cleaner but sooner or later it’s battery will also not hold any charge and will reach it’s EOL and any spare parts (batteries, etc.) will not be available.

In order to use the vacuum cleaner for a longer time even past its EOL date and thus be more sustainability, why isn’t an adapter kit available, which has the same dimensions as the battery itself, and contains all the relevant power electronics to mimic the voltage/current of the battery, which then allows you to transform our Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner into an corded one? The adapter kit could be modular to support all current and past Dyson vacuum cleaners, so they could be equipped with it. Of course the cable should also be changeable to handle different power socket types. 

Why throw a good vacuum cleaner away - where the bottleneck is only the battery - when you could extend its lifetime via a adapter kit (should it ever become available). Personally I would rather buy an official adapter kit from Dyson then a generic battery which is always an gamble.

What do you think about this idea?

Hi @DarkPaladinJoker,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

Dyson cordless vacuums are intended to be exactly that - cordless! We engineer them to last, back them with spare parts and servicing for their 2-year warranty period and beyond, and have designed the battery pack to be easily replaceable at the end of its lifespan.

The battery packs - and the machines themselves - are made of high-grade, recyclable materials and can be responsibly disposed of at most facilities which accept household electronics.

We have no current plans to offer a corded adaptor for these machines, but thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Same EOL experience with my DC35, even though the replacement battery is only 3 years old. So far from the desirable circular economy system that we should expect from this company.

Rather than adaptor kits why not build in an intelligent design to allow the battery pack to be repacked ?

This is common practice with companies that are more concerned with sustainable practices than wanting to sell more, regardless of the waste.