Sustainability of Dyson | Dyson Community

Sustainability of Dyson

• 15 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi, I could not find any Dyson sustainability report. Have I just overseen it or is there really no report of Dyson to that topic? What is Dyson doing in that regard except their award? Especially for climate protection. What kind of energy do they use for electricity, production, heating their buildings, transportation, etc.?

2 replies

Hi @Duco

Sustainability and the green movement are subjects I’m really passionate on. Stopping the degradation of our world by recycling responsibly, generating electricity from renewable resource and recycling used and outdates spaces! Dyson do this and more! All this can be found on Google or by visiting their website.

For starters, the WEEE directive isn’t something they highlight enough. It was actually one of the reason I purchase. Read it for yourself on the WEEE - Recycling link. 

They also share a yearly report on their own sustainability, which isn’t hidden away like other companies. Search the web, visit their site or click on Sustainability at Dyson and Sustainability - The bigger picture to read it.

Hi @Spencer, thank you for that answer. I just found the sustainability page on dyson.com. It had a bit less information. So your links helped me. Like the solar roof on the parking lot wasn’t shown there for example, which was interesting.

But what I’m missing is numbers. So sure this projects show that Dyson is doing something, but how substantial is that actually? There are no numbers. How much CO2e does dyson cause in Scope 1, 2 and 3? How much have they reduced it over the years? The report of Bosch for example states that clearly for Scope 1 and 2. They have a lot of overview information on CO2e, water, materials, equity, inclusion, etc. and mention the sustainability goals of the united nations. Similar reports are public for Samsung, Vorwerk, Miele,Tenneco or Xiaomi. (Xiaomi sadly didn’t split the CO2e by scope.)

So I’m not saying that these companies are doing more for sustainability. Maybe they do less than Dyson. I don’t know. But they are transparent about it. They provide a sustainability report with numbers where we can compare the companies. It’s kind of an industry standard to publish such reports, now.
So I have not looked into the details. That these companies didn’t published scope 3 shows that they are not very ambitious. Also Bosch for example claims to be climate neutral but just compensates Scope 1 and 2. That’s not very ambitious but more than nothing. The best would be if a company targets net zero, so presenting a plan to reduce all 3 scopes of their emissions towards 0 within the scientific limits, with concrete targets, what we can check each year if the targets are reached.

So it’s great that Dyson does all that projects, but how big is their impact? Are there other things that are very bad that they don’t show on that pages? As they don’t have such a report (as far as I know), we can not check it.

The Greenhouse Gas Protocol has become a standard to measure emissions. That helps to read such reports and understand their ambitions. If Dyson takes sustainability serious, I would expect that they provide a report with such numbers. Dyson just makes claims like “Dyson Farming produces enough renewable energy to power 10,500 homes.” But how much energy does Dyson use for their business? The power of 5,000 homes or of 50,000 homes? Do they use 100% renewable energy? Or just 30%? They claim that the solar panels on the campus roof run enough energy for the campus building, but what about production buildings, offices, logistics, etc.? They restore old buildings instead of building new ones, which is great. But have they calculated how much CO2 they safed that way? How ambitious are their targets? How good are they already?

Does anyone has such numbers and concrete information about the company strategy? Do they have plans to become a net zero company? Or just climate neutral? Or not even that?