Would it be a mistake to but a Dyson vacuum cleaner? | Dyson Community
Question

Would it be a mistake to but a Dyson vacuum cleaner?

• 14 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have had a Dyson vacuum cleaner for over 30 years.  It has been fantastic, and it still works ok.  However it is now time to buy a lighter model as my wife and I are finding our current Dyson to be too heavy for us as we get older.    We have looked at the V12 in a shop and we were very impressed.  It looks like a superb machine and it gets great reviews.

BUT I am beginning to wonder if buying a new Dyson vacuum cleaner would be a big mistake.  Dyson have had an excellent reputation for quality products and good customer service but I am becoming increasingly wary as it looks like the standard of Dyson’s customer service, in the UK at least, has taken a dive.  

1.  There are many posts both here and on Trustpilot about recent poor customer service experiences with Dyson.

2.  Posts on here about poor customer service appear to be ignored by the moderation team – they do not reply to them.  Why is this?  Surely they should be trying to help their customers.

3.  My own experience of the online chat was that the people staffing it were polite and tried to be helpful but really did not know much about the products and could not tell me any more than the website could.  

4.  The waiting times for phone help are long and we are told that the “UK Helpline is experiencing an ongoing system disruption”. There is no indication as to when this disruption will be resolved.  There are reports of calls not being returned as promised and customers having their calls terminated by Dyson staff.

5.  A minor point, but one which I think is another indication that all might not be well at Dyson, is erroneous information on the website about Dyson products.  This was acknowledged by Dyson in this forum and I was told it would be fixed.  The erroneous information is still there today.

I have not yet abandoned the idea of buying a Dyson.  I do like the V12 and I feel that if it worked fine and we did not have any problems, we would be very happy indeed with our Dyson vacuum cleaner.  But if there were a problem I would need to engage with what appears to be an increasingly dysfunctional and poorly performing customer service function.   WOULD SOMEONE FROM DYSON CARE TO COMMENT AND ALLAY MY FEARS?

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

6 replies

Badge +1

I have had a Dyson vacuum cleaner for over 30 years.  It has been fantastic, and it still works ok.  However it is now time to buy a lighter model as my wife and I are finding our current Dyson to be too heavy for us as we get older.    We have looked at the V12 in a shop and we were very impressed.  It looks like a superb machine and it gets great reviews.

BUT I am beginning to wonder if buying a new Dyson vacuum cleaner would be a big mistake.  Dyson have had an excellent reputation for quality products and good customer service but I am becoming increasingly wary as it looks like the standard of Dyson’s customer service, in the UK at least, has taken a dive.  

1.  There are many posts both here and on Trustpilot about recent poor customer service experiences with Dyson.

2.  Posts on here about poor customer service appear to be ignored by the moderation team – they do not reply to them.  Why is this?  Surely they should be trying to help their customers.

3.  My own experience of the online chat was that the people staffing it were polite and tried to be helpful but really did not know much about the products and could not tell me any more than the website could.  

4.  The waiting times for phone help are long and we are told that the “UK Helpline is experiencing an ongoing system disruption”. There is no indication as to when this disruption will be resolved.  There are reports of calls not being returned as promised and customers having their calls terminated by Dyson staff.

5.  A minor point, but one which I think is another indication that all might not be well at Dyson, is erroneous information on the website about Dyson products.  This was acknowledged by Dyson in this forum and I was told it would be fixed.  The erroneous information is still there today.

I have not yet abandoned the idea of buying a Dyson.  I do like the V12 and I feel that if it worked fine and we did not have any problems, we would be very happy indeed with our Dyson vacuum cleaner.  But if there were a problem I would need to engage with what appears to be an increasingly dysfunctional and poorly performing customer service function.   WOULD SOMEONE FROM DYSON CARE TO COMMENT AND ALLAY MY FEARS?

Did they ever reply?

Other prestige brand vacuum companies stand behind their products. Dyson no longer seems to care.

Have had a DC41 for too long (unfortunately). Found that the switches and locking (sic) mechanisms for items such has holding the vacuum upright are cheap plastic components. Have to engage the power switch switch multiple times to turn on / off; keep lifting the vacuum up to lock in an upright position. And is very heavy to use with the power (sic) head attachment on stairs. Would never buy another Dyson. Decent suction, but cheaply made and overpriced. Shark and Chinese competitors make a better value product. Long term assessment - POS.

Badge +1

That's interesting because dysons were very hard to buy 30 years ago

Badge +1

I think that it is not a mistake at all because there are dyson stores in the uk so you can get instore support

That's interesting because dysons were very hard to buy 30 years ago

no they weren’t in fact it’s almost 31 years ago that Dyson launched it’s first ever vacuum the DC01! DC01 launched in May 1993 in the UK become one the best selling Vacuum cleaners within 2 years.