regretful purchase! | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

I purchased the Dyson Gen5Detect Absolute from Myers on the last day of the sale they had on the 29/08/24, as I urgently needed a vacuum, with my previous Dyson (V8) no longer in working order. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try the demo vacuum at the store. Despite visiting the electrical goods counter twice and asking other staff for assistance, no one was available to help. One staff member was hesitant to assist me at first, but after I explained that I had come earlier and now needed to move my car, I decided to purchase the vacuum without testing it due to time constraints.

When I got home, I found the vacuum to be quite heavy and difficult to maneuver. It's hard on the back and shoulders and seems better suited for someone very fit and strong. While the light on the Fluffy Optic cleaner head is excellent at revealing dog hair and dust, it functions more like a strong duster than a vacuum—it only sucks in dust and hair but doesn’t pick up the stains on the tiles as well, as the V8 did. I had to go over an areas multiple times, and even then, the floor isn’t 100% clean. I cannot vacuum under my bed or under my TV cabinet due to its large bin, V8 did it like a charm. The battery also died after just cleaning two areas, as I had to spend extra time back and forth on the same area which is disappointing for such an expensive vacuum. Additionally, I noticed that the charger became quite hot while charging.

I cannot return the item back as per Myer’s store person did it had been used and Dyson won’t take it back! And told me to sell it on Market place! So if you are looking to buy a Dyson Vacuum don’t go to Myers they can’t do returns or enough staff to assist customers.

Dyson store person said to bring it back and they will upcycle it, I asked her if I’ll get my money back?  she said no. I told her if that’s the case I’ll rather donate it than to give it to Dyson as I only used the vacuum twice!

For me overall, this purchase feels like a waste of time, energy, and my money!

Hi @AuntyTootz,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

I'm sorry to hear you feel you’ve chosen the wrong machine for your particular needs. As you purchased from a third party retailer, your contract of sale is with them and any decisions around returns or refunds will come down to their individual store policies. These aren’t something we’re able to influence.

There’s nothing we can do to change the design or weight of your machine, but if you wanted any help troubleshooting to check it’s working as well as it should be, you’re welcome to reach out to your local Dyson Customer Care team by visiting Dyson.com and clicking Support.