Carbon Fibre Brush Safety | Dyson Community
Solved

Carbon Fibre Brush Safety

• 14 March 2024
  • 1 reply

I’m very disappointed that I have had to send back by V15 vacuum product because of the carbon fibre brushes. There are growing concerns over the safety of carbon fibre, which has a high bio persistence in the body. Its one thing to have a carbon fibre shell in the car, another to be mechanically abrading these fibres against the floor in rotating cylinder which could release particles during wear and tear. Not only to then aerosolise these particulates. Rather defeats the point of a £850 HEPA vacuum cleaner.

The safety sheet provided does mention irritation and washing hands after coming in contact. But this does not go far enough. Carbon Fibre is a suspected carcinogen with a growing risk profile. Being bound into a product is one thing, but being impacted opens up potential new risks.

Fundamentally I’m disappointed to see this material used in this way and that having spent 10’s of thousands of pounds on Dyson products over the years, it wasn’t even advertised clearly that the product contained carbon fibre and was used in this manner.

icon

Best answer by Jack 19 March 2024, 11:38

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @toxoc,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for your feedback.

The size of the fibres means that in the unlikely event that they become airborne, they are too big to pose any danger as they aren’t respirable - so can’t get into the part of the lungs where any risk would potentially exist.

Like any Dyson machine, accessory or component, the anti-static carbon fibre filaments within our brush bars have been rigorously assessed for safety, and for this health risk specifically. The brush bar only spins when the main suction motor is running, so any fibres which happen to become loose would be contained within the machine's filtration system - again, this is highly unlikely. 

I appreciate you’ve since returned your machine, but hope this answers your question.