Cordless V10 Absolute - Power cutting in/out - Any ideas? | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V10 Absolute - Power cutting in/out - Any ideas?

Userlevel 2

Dyson V10 Absolute cutting out after approx 10 secs, the machine stops then can re pull the trigger,it starts and then stops again after approx 10 secs again, the bin has been cleaned out and the filter has been cleaned even though there are no filter or blockage lights on, there are 3 blue lights on indicating full charge. I have been on the troubleshooting guide as recommended which is going to order me a replacement battery, I don’t think this is the issue but will see when it arrives. Anyone out there have any ideas.

(Moderation Edit - Tags Added)

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 5 May 2023, 22:07

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

42 replies

Got mine March also and having the issues by may.  I was emailing a customer service woman for weeks who wanted to call me to ‘troubleshoot’.  I ended up going back to messenger and still waiting for a part, now July!  Time wasting!  The tests they did on the v10 prior to release obviously weren’t stringent enough.  They should probably recall, but will cost too much!

I've been checking my rights in law, as this doesn't look good from reading online about this problem. I've found this in the UK … (or there is always Martin Lewis we could all get on to!)

Your rights after the goods have been repaired or replaced

You don't have to accept a second repair or replacement if something goes wrong again. You can ask for a discount on the original price or your money back if:

• the repair hasn't solved the problem

• another fault has developed

• the replacement is faulty

If you ask for your money back and it's less than 6 months since you bought the goods, you should get the full amount.

Userlevel 5

If it isn’t the battery, it could be the main body / trigger mechanism. They usually replace one before the other. A reddit article to an engineer at Dyson said they write the diagnostic scripts and their around 99.9% accurate. They is only so much they can predict with user input - if a part fails you have it replaced. 

They could argue it’s still under warranty and not replace it - worth a shot if you have a case. 

Userlevel 1

We received 2 new vacuum bodies after they each started cutting out. Then Dyson asked for the original unit to be sent in for repair. 

The “repair” was to replace the vacuum body once again 🤦‍♂️. However, this time the trigger mechanism feels tighter/tougher than the failed units. So far so good in that it hasn’t cut out once and is lasting longer than the others. 

If it does fail then I’ll give up entirely and go down the refund route as per consumer law  

This is a joke, just put new battery in and charged as told ... no different. So much for the Dyson guy insisting he was a 'trained Dyson engineer' and this would solve it. We knew it wouldn't!  I expect this will drag on now till after the six months ... 

Can you ask them for all new parts of at least a swap. I’m sure the warranty somewhere covers them replacing the whole machine if their attempt at repairing doesn't work 😁

I also have a stop and start issue with my Cyclone V10 Animal Cordless.  When I take it off the charger, it has a tendency to randomly stop, the clogged or filter lights do not light, and it’s not pulsing..  If I release the trigger for 2 seconds, the vacuum starts.  

It will do this with a fresh charge, clean, new filter, and no attachments, just holding the body in the air and pressing the trigger.  Usually takes about two or three minutes, when it starts turning off can be pretty variable.  The longer I use it, the longer time between shutoffs.  A 2-second release always gets it started again.  

Will start the support process next week to see if I can get this fixed.  Otherwise it’s been a great vacuum for me...

If the power pulses and u know it was recently charged but u have been vacuuming chances are you have something in the tube of the vacuum. It happens to me frequently as I have multiple dogs and since getting the third dog the length of his hair seems to get stuck in the tube versus the other dogs I have had. Just clear the tube and full power will be restored. 

Thanks Shadito, 

I do get quite a bit of dog hair, To clean, I disassemble the main body and use a shop vac up the center tube to suck out any dog hair, I also run a brush attachment around the perforated metal.  I try to vacuum every accessible part of the vacuum to clear it out.  When done I visually check the center tube and it is completely clear.  Then when testing after cleaning, I don’t use any attachments, but it still cuts out.  I use the shop vac to clean the attachments as well and clean it frequently.  

I’ve only had it a couple of months

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks Shadito, 

I do get quite a bit of dog hair, To clean, I disassemble the main body and use a shop vac up the center tube to suck out any dog hair, I also run a brush attachment around the perforated metal.  I try to vacuum every accessible part of the vacuum to clear it out.  When done I visually check the center tube and it is completely clear.  Then when testing after cleaning, I don’t use any attachments, but it still cuts out.  I use the shop vac to clean the attachments as well and clean it frequently.  

I’ve only had it a couple of months

Have you given their online help a once over Support | Customer Service | Contact Us | Dyson? if you have and your still no better off, give them a call. They should assess it and offer solution. Might be as simple as a blocked or dodgy filter. 

Dyson have stayed within the law and begun the refund process.  The cleaner had had one repair by them and was still within 6months of purchase.  As such within UK law I am allowed a full refund.  (I think this is only right, for goodness sake if something needs repairing within 6 months, then it's really not a good product!)  I did have to point out the law to them, and ask for the Manager before the refund was agreed to.  Definitely worth finding out and sticking to your rights. 

Userlevel 1

Dyson have stayed within the law and begun the refund process.  The cleaner had had one repair by them and was still within 6months of purchase.  As such within UK law I am allowed a full refund.  (I think this is only right, for goodness sake if something needs repairing within 6 months, then it's really not a good product!)  I did have to point out the law to them, and ask for the Manager before the refund was agreed to.  Definitely worth finding out and sticking to your rights. 

Been sticking to my consumer rights and the customer services just keep ignoring UK consumer legislation. It’s an absolute disgrace as so many people will give up. 

Instead of speaking to a manage and forcing the point I’ve agreed initially to exchange the V10 for a V11. Goodness knows if its any better/ avoids the same issues. 

I just had this same problem as this and after cleaning the filter and eliminating battery issues, I put it down to the red switch/ trigger not functioning fully. After some searching, it turns out this is a cause that others have encountered. My v10 Absolute is out of warranty so I decided to gamble and order a replacement switch (via Amazon £8 inc screw drivers required to disassemble) and open it up to replace the switch. There is a great video on YouTube that takes you through it step by step. Sure enough, once I got to the switch, it had indeed snapped. I fitted the new one, reassembled and it’s working good as new.

I’m not suggesting you do this if yours is in warranty, of course.

I just had this same problem as this and after cleaning the filter and eliminating battery issues, I put it down to the red switch/ trigger not functioning fully. After some searching, it turns out this is a cause that others have encountered. My v10 Absolute is out of warranty so I decided to gamble and order a replacement switch (via Amazon £8 inc screw drivers required to disassemble) and open it up to replace the switch. There is a great video on YouTube that takes you through it step by step. Sure enough, once I got to the switch, it had indeed snapped. I fitted the new one, reassembled and it’s working good as new.

I’m not suggesting you do this if yours is in warranty, of course.

I for one would be interested in seeing the video! Dyson troubleshoot usually by replacing the battery, main body (trigger component) or charger for electrical faults. If this works for most, as a quick fix for those out of warranty, it would be awesome! 

Hi @Kibbleb and Stuart, here is the link to

the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3PtOYlOUAw

reading about all the problems of the V-10 suggests to me that it is a faulty design. I paid $400 in 2019 for mine and it is totally useless. Dyson should recall and replace it with a better machine.

Userlevel 1

Sorry but I’m afraid you’ve been ripped off. Dyson support are useless and cynical. Actually mine has been ok since I got angry, put it on full power and ran it flat out while I cleaned the car. Battery got hot but since then it has worked perfectly. Doubtless the problem will recur until I get bored and go and buy a shark.