Dyson Vacuum Spares Availability on Dyson Australia site. | Dyson Community

Dyson Vacuum Spares Availability on Dyson Australia site.

• 30 December 2022
  • 0 replies

Badge
  • Novice Member
  • 2 replies

I created this post over concerns regarding Dyson Vacuum spares in general, and specifically about the great variability of available spares, between the various stick models spares (V6, V8, V10 , V11, V12, and V15).

A few months ago, there seemed to be very few spares available for the V11, but that seems to have improved a lot lately. Items like filters and batteries were shown as out of stock. Even now, a general spares search for the V11 shows the screw-in battery is on a NOTIFY ME status (suggesting out of stock), but doing a main site search for "V11 Battery" DOES show is ok. Very odd.

I did notice that in comparing https://vacuumspares.com.au with https://www.dyson.com.au spares, there are a LOT more spares available on the vacuumspares site. I suspect that most owners will just use a local appliance repair shop if it is NOT a simple item like a bin or battery or hose, but there ARE still many enthusiastic owners with plently of experience and expertise in fixing thier own appliances themselves.

For instance, the on/off switch can fail on upright models like the DC25, or DC07, and motors too, and owners should be able to replace these. The mains cord (lead) is often a problem for older upright vacuums, and can fail at strain-points leading to intermittent operation, but since Dyson has pioneered the small and lightweight stick vacuums, now with quite powerful motors, with the all-important Cyclone technology and good suction, many other companies follow this trend, and copy its iconic design format.   

Another observation about the stick vacuums like the V11 etc, is that the Australian Dyson site does NOT show the "main body" available, should an owner drop and break the main body onto a concrete floor whilst cleaning for example. I see that for $488 several V-series main body's can be purchased from the VACUUMSPARES site. This means around $800 saved by not having to purchase a new vacuum, thus helping with waste and land-fill issues.    

If required spares are NOT available on the Dyson site, then owners may well have to source them from other sites, and might NOT get genuine Dyson spares (that Dyson likes to encourage).

In the 80's (certainly in the UK and USA where I have lived and worked) it was not only easy to get most required appliance spares, but repair manuals were easily available. Even 15 years ago in the UK, I remember Dyson used to show exploded diagrams and where individual spare parts fitted together. I beleive that Black & Decker still do that for some of their vacuums. Today though, it seems that only big fridges (Upright fridge/freezers) have basic part connection diagrams stuck on the back!  

I still feel that Australia generally suffers from appliance spares availability issues, compared to other countries. The ACCC only advocates spares availablity "For a reasonable amount of time", but a judge would have to rule on what that means!
Quoting from the current "Electrical and whitegoods: an industry guide to the Australian Consumer Law" document: "A manufacturer or importer does not have to meet the guarantee on repairs and spare parts if they advised the consumer in writing, at the time of purchase, that repair facilities and spare part would not be available after a specified time."

I don't think I have EVER seen that quoted in ANY appliance manual or instructions, OR warrantee document (let alone "at the point of purchase" - who would open the box at the store and read all that stuff??!!). I think it would take a VERY brave marketing department to do so, for obvious reasons!

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.