V10 will not shut off. | Dyson Community
Question

V10 will not shut off.

V10 Animal will not shut off.

There has been several discussions about this issue. Most common problem identified is that the screw hole on the back of the handle elongates, possibly because of it hanging in the wall charging station.

What I have found is that the molded hole at the top of the trigger or the bottom of the horizontal element of the base is shatter and MIA.

The entire trigger assembly is not appropriately positioned, possibly tipped. This forces some pressure on the actual trigger, the red part. Therefore the bread trigger plunger with the spring, pushes downward with a force that exceeds the upward force of the springfoot on the battery. As I see it there's sort of a balance going on here. Normally the springfoot on the battery pushes up lightly on the trigger plunger and the trigger where your finger touches extends out of the housing.V10 Animal will not shut off.

There has been several discussions about this issue. Most common problem identified is that the screw hole on the back of the handle elongates, possibly because of it hanging in the wall charging station.

What I have found is that the molded hole stem at the top of the trigger or the bottom of the horizontal element of the base is shatter and MIA.

The entire trigger assembly is not appropriately positioned, possibly tipped. This forces some pressure on the actual trigger, the red part. Therefore the bread trigger plunger with the spring, pushes downward with a force that exceeds the upward force of the springfoot on the battery.

As I see it there's sort of a balance going on here. Normally the springfoot on the battery pushes up lightly on the trigger plunger and the trigger where your finger touches extends out of the housing. When you pull the trigger the red plunger goes down on the spring foot fully overcoming the force it's a spring and turning on the battery system.

However, the trigger assembly is not fully seated upwards, because the screw cannot pull it upwards due to the shattered hole stem.

This is the reason that the V10 will not shut off. There may be other reasons, yet this is what I have observed.

The question is why is the whole stem that accepts the screw that retains the trigger upward broken in the first place? Perhaps it is just from use or even the whole vacuum accidentally being dropped.

I did notice and disassembling the unit that the rubber "D" grommet that is part of the trigger assembly over the red and black and control wires was a little mushroom shaped and did not properly fit the hole that accepts. I did trim it with a razor blade not being too concerned about the precisive seal at that point. I believe it could be trimmed a little more. In any case, The Grommet was either turned or in some way oriented such that it mushroomed instead of sliding into the hole. Or maybe there were defective grommets manufactured. In any case during original Manufacturing, the insertion pressure by the assembly machines would mushroom out the grommet. The trigger screw would retain the trigger assembly yet would have a constant spring-like pressure from the mushroom to grommet. So then due to use or dropping, eventually the whole stem shattered.

Therefore, my hypothesis is that unless the grommets were defective to begin with that the assembly systems did not properly Orient the "D" shaped grommet to nicely slide in the mating hole.

As far as the fix goes, it's brain surgery. Unless the trigger assembly is permanently glued in which is a bad idea, then there's not a lot of repair options without replacing the entire handle. I believe it is possible to use a small drill bit on a unique extension, like a drill hex bit with a small bit extender, all the way through the housing and use a machine screw and nut. Otherwise your left trying to form a whole stem. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment, is good old-fashioned 3M Bondo.

Here's what I would attempt: cut a piece of a plastic drinking straw, of appropriate diameter, to the length of the missing hole stem. Next, makes a small amount of Bondo according to the instructions on the can and fill the piece of straw which is approximately 5/16 in Long, with Bondo.

Next the straw piece can be cut off of the razor blade or possibly left in place. Note that a paper straw might work equally well if there is no intention of removing it. The straw section is a mold of sorts.

Using long tweezers, hemostats or needle nose place the stress section with the unhardened Bondo down into the trigger assembly so that the Bondo contacts the housing where the whole stem was. Block it up or wedge it with paper towel Etc to keep it in place while the Bondo hardens. Work quickly Bondo hardens pretty quick.

Use a small drill bit with a hex Shank on an extension bit to Pilot drill the actual screw hole. And voila! A miracle happened after about 4 hours worth of work.

Before reassembly make sure that the rubber d grommet on the main power wires is reshaped as necessary so it fits nicely in the hole or risk shattering the whole stem again.

Is this repair worth the effort versus humbling oneself and raking the neighbors lawn for money to buy a new housing? Probably not.

Some of us are like a dog on a bone as far as not giving up.

Good luck!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!