V8 Battery - unacceptably short battery life? | Dyson Community
Solved

V8 Battery - unacceptably short battery life?

• 17 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Really disappointed with Dyson.  V8 battery only lasted 2 years, and previous V8 battery also only lasted 2 years too.  Is having to buy a new battery the only option?  I had hoped Dyson would replace, or at least contribute to a replacement but they didn’t.  

Can this be right?  There are consumer rights that determine products should last a ‘reasonable length of time’, and I don’t think 2 years is reasonable for a product that costs over £300.  All the published information by Dyson shows that batteries will inevitably have reduced performance over a long period of time, but this is a 75%+ reduction in only 2 years.

Does anybody have any advice?  Can Dyson help?

icon

Best answer by Jack 28 May 2024, 12:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @ShelleyHartley,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thank you for letting us know about this.

We’re sorry you've been disappointed with the life of the battery on your Dyson V8™ vacuum. The battery pack is covered for the duration of our free 2-year Dyson guarantee. Outside of this timeframe, replacement parts including the battery would be chargeable.

It's not possible for us to specify an exact lifespan for any component, including the battery pack, as this depends on how each individual machine is used, maintained and stored. As with any battery, our battery packs are subject to normal degradation over their working life. You can find some tips on preserving battery life here.

If you’d like to discuss this further, you'll need to continue your conversation directly with our UK Customer Care experts.

The quickest way to get in touch is to visit Dyson.co.uk and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a live chat conversation with our Customer Care team.

Hello Jack

A pretty standard response, as I expected.

The community will make their own opinion.  I wouldn’t be surprised if many others have a similar story and feel it unacceptable to need to buy a new battery every two to three years.  The truth is I have many battery appliances, know how to care for batteries, and Dyson falls short by a long way.  Having such a short life makes true annual cost of ownership too high, and Dyson over sell their battery endurance.  Consumer rights protect against goods that don’t last a reasonable amount of time, the two years is not relevant.  Poor show Dyson, a shame you don’t get behind your product and instead hide behind quoted warranty periods and don’t support your customers.  
Things can only change if others come forward on the forums!

I am experiencing similar short battery life with the V8.   Unfortunately, it is several months out of warranty.   I had a similar experience with the V10 model.   It also experienced very short run time just outside of the warranty period.

I should have learned from my experience with the V10 and purchased a different product rather than another Dyson.   I won’t make that mistake again.   Now I have to shell out more money to replace the battery.