Vacuum V15 keeps turning off several times | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

Hi,

I have my V15 for less than a year. In the past weeks it started to switch off every time I use it.
After few seconds it turns off, it does this 3 or 4 times and then it works just fine.

I clean the filter regulartly, it looks very clean. I also fully cleaned the dust bin. Nothing really helps.
I don’t think its a problem with the filter and not the battery either since its quite new.

There are no error messages on the display.

What to do next. I don’t really want to buy a new battery or filter to find out that it doesn’t fix the problem.

Hey @FKae86,

I hope you are having a great day. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your V15. It sounds like a clog in the system.

I know you said you cleaned it, but I know with mine, there is always something I miss.

Check out my video below to see if this corrects your issue. Also, you would want to keep your filter washed once a month to allow for proper circulation in the machine.

How to check for a clog

How to clean your filter

Hope this helps!

@brandir  Hi, thank you for the reply.
I did a full cleaning of the vacuum after the issues started happening. The machine is almost as new. The problem happens with all motor powered attachments.

I clean the filter on regular basis. Looks clean enough.
Cleaning did not help at all.

There are no errors showing up so I can’t tell any more.
Simply, turn on and it turns off after 2-3 seconds. This repeats 3-4 times, then it continues cleaning just fine without turning off.

Hi @FKae86

Thanks for the additional detail here. This sounds like an unusual issue, and to help pinpoint the cause we'll need our Customer Care experts to take you through some further troubleshooting checks when you have your Dyson V15 Detect™️ vacuum fully charged and easily to hand. If a replacement part or a repair is needed, they’ll be able to confirm if this is covered under your Dyson warranty.

Please visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a conversation with our Customer Care team.

We'll look forward to speaking with you!

@Jack I am having this exact same problem. I cleared any and all clogs by taking the entire vacuum apart. I ordered a new battery, filter, and a new charger. The problem persists.

Hi @Tori86,

Thanks for letting us know about this. We’ll need to run through further diagnostics to help you resolve this.

Please visit Dyson.com and click the round purple button to launch the Dyson Digital Assistant. Then click the agent icon in the bottom left corner of the chat window to start a conversation with our Customer Care team.

We'll look forward to speaking with you!

Exact same issue here. Just started a week or two ago, it starts and stops after a couple of seconds 2 or 3 times then runs fine. Have cleaned all the things and It’s fairly new too

I had (six month ago) and have now exactly the same issue. Filter was cleaned on regular intervals.

First time it happed I sent it to the service and they replaced the vacuum part (accessories were left).

Yesterday (few month after replacement) the new unit begun to turn off after a second or two.

I wonder how it will be handled this time.

Hi Team, I am going through the same issue and not sure what to do. Followed all the cleaning processes but still have the issue where turns of 3 to 4 times after the first smart. Acting like two-stroke motors. I am puzzled after reading all these reviews and not sure what to do here. Thanks, Shaf

Hi all, I got the same issue as described. Cleaned everything multiple times, no blockage or anything. Seems to be a common issue. It’s just so annoying that the support is incredibly difficult to reach. I am trying for multiple days in a row without any luck. If somebody from the Dyson team reads this, please reach out :( 

I got this problem 3 months ago and reached out to Dyson for 2 times and they only created 2 cases and said the main body is out of stock….. they told me only can do is to wait!!

Can confirm. “Out of stock” and nobody can tell me how long it might take to restock. I mean they are selling new models, so the supply chain should be intact or at least the warehouses should be full. Seems like Dyson de-prioritises on purpose. 

Im on my 4th V15 in 13 months ! and now this one has gone too.

Im fed up to be honest, I have absolutely no confidence in them whatsoever, its only a matter of time before the same issues comes back with my next. Clearly they cannot sort this issue …. Sell and move on !

Same issue here as I described in 

here is the video of an issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4zxjX_sRgQWt78tS-YkXKVM_A6WcT2m/view

Contacted support. The replacement part is out of stock. Waiting for it to become available.

I had the same problem, but I bought two new batteries, and it works fine with one of them just like before, while it cuts out with the other. I think the batteries might be the cause.

Glad I have found this thread as my V15 is doing the exact same issue as reported above, only started a few weeks ago, I am already on my 3rd unit. Mine is the 3rd time of asking it carries on as normal

Hi all. Has anyone got a response from Dyson to say what the issues is? I have the same thing with my V10 and I replaced both the main body and the battery about a year before this started to happen. It’s crazy that this would happen with essentially a new body and battery. I keep thinking it will at some point stop working completely.

Same here. Mine just powers off and doesn’t warn about a debris in the system. This is different to how a dirty machine behaves.

I fix mine by removing the battery and trying again. Once it gets going, I don't stop it.

Seems to be like a simple logic issue as there is no hard error that can be recreated.

Seems like i am not the only one having this issue. Less than a year in, a reputable brand such as Dyson have yet to be able to rectify this issue.

I have tried removing the battery and leaving before putting back on, but problem still persist. I can’t even use boost mode now, it only last 1 seconds before powering down itself.

All filters washed, clean, changed, this does not resolve the problem at all. I really hope Dyson response and come up with something soon…...

Drove 40 min to the closest Dyson service store, confirmed to be motor issue, no motors in stock so they’re sending me a new machine. The on/offs have been increasing over the past month-first it was just once or twice before working, now I’m up to 5-6+ shutoffs before it will work. So unfortunate I’ve only had it since December ‘23.

Drove 40 min to the closest Dyson service store, confirmed to be motor issue, no motors in stock so they’re sending me a new machine. The on/offs have been increasing over the past month-first it was just once or twice before working, now I’m up to 5-6+ shutoffs before it will work. So unfortunate I’ve only had it since December ‘23.

Ha, I need to drive 12 hrs to the nearest Dyson service center….. or 20 hrs.. and until now no respond from Dyson….

Hi guys. I’m having the same problem. My vac was bought in June 2023 and has been great until a few weeks ago. Starting-then-stopping a few times then running normally. It has now increased to 4-6 times start-then-stop each time. So annoying. I’m about to start down the rabbit hole (by the sound of it) of getting it fixed/replaced. Wish me luck

Hi guys. I’m having the same problem. My vac was bought in June 2023 and has been great until a few weeks ago. Starting-then-stopping a few times then running normally. It has now increased to 4-6 times start-then-stop each time. So annoying. I’m about to start down the rabbit hole (by the sound of it) of getting it fixed/replaced. Wish me luck

I got a replacement. Had to wait almost for a month for the new one. But the new one so far is good.

Update: Dyson doesn’t have spare parts so full replacement is the only option - but their policy makes you send the broken one to them first. Prepare to stay without a vacuum for a long long time. Overall experience is horrible. They just don’t care. 

Hi all. Further to my issue. I did contact Dyson via the Facebook chat on 19/9. They responded immediately and really well. I sent back a few details and a video of the stop-starting.  They arranged to have a new main body/cyclone sent out to replace mine which I received today via post. I didn’t have to send anything to them so I was not without a vacuum at all.
So I’m actually really happy with that outcome as it seems to be now a-ok!! They didn’t actually say “what” the issue was, presumably as it’s common. But happy to have a new body that doesn’t stop-start!! 

FYI, I’ve had this problem for about a month also tried cleaning the filter, checked for blockages but it still wasnt working and I was never getting any notification on my dyson. I found this thread and realised it’s very likely a manufacturing issue of the batch of v15s produced and sold last May/June. I tried calling but never got through but leveraged the chat function on Dyson. I sited this thread and they’ve sent a main body and cyclone head same day.