Will Dyson Be Phasing Out the Antiquated “Trigger” Any Time Soon? | Dyson Community

Will Dyson Be Phasing Out the Antiquated “Trigger” Any Time Soon?

• 8 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I am shopping for my first cordless stick vacuum. Background: I have a Miele canister vac with a HEPA filter and sealed system that I absolutely love, but I want to something that is easier to grab to quickly run over the carpet in my bedroom. I think I’d vacuum much more often if I had this.

I’ve been looking at cordless stick models from Miele and Dyson, mainly, and find the Dyson ones very appealing. But there is a huge problem - almost all the models use the trigger that you have to hold down the entire time you are vacuuming. To avoid this, you have to go to the highest priced models (with the exception of one model with a very small bin).

I personally find this astonishing. I mean, it is 2023, and we can’t have a regular on button without paying $900? I fear that next I will learn that their cheapest models are still using cranks rather than lithium batteries. 

Yes, I’ve read that this supposedly saves on battery life because you don’t leave it running while you pause for a minute. Well, it is not that hard to turn the darn thing off it you want to pause - and a lot easier than keeping the trigger constantly depressed!

Using the trigger sounds exhausting and annoying, and I don’t even have hard problems. I guess they’ve just decided that all the people with arthritis etc in their hands should just buy from another company? It’s really the strangest business decision I think I’ve seen. Ive seen tons of reviews complaining about this trigger feature.

So - does anyone know if Dyson has plans to change this feature on its low and mid-range models?

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Dyson’s commented previously about sharing upcoming development plans and how they keep their secrets secure. Sadly, you won’t get any information our of them on this. 

As like many technology enthusiast, I monitor other forums, technology site and the like for the latest news. On the very odd occasion an article will talk about their future technology. Some of the discussion has been around this single-button option, but nothing substantial has been leaked. 

I can say with somewhat certainty future expansions to the V12, Gen5 and newer series will have this single button process as a standard. As it was only introduced to the V12 Detect in 2022, then the Gen5 in 2023, I suspect the new model isn’t far way. 

This technology won’t be made backward compatible. and I for one support this. Financially, business tend to produce stock lines in the 10,000s at the time of manufacturing. This stock usually ensures parts exceed past their ‘supported’ life, which is anywhere between 5 - 7 years. Businesses will look to exhaust this before reinvesting, if at all.

The choice on where you spend and invest your hard earned money is 100% your decision. Dyson have products that meet your functional needs, just not in the price point you’re after. Businesses can’t cater for everyone. 

Thanks for your response. Re your comment:  “Dyson has products that meet your functional needs, just not in the price point you’re after” - that is technically true. But - the V15 Detect has all the features I want, except a regular on button. To get that, I have to pay an additional $300! This is for a feature, an on button, that every other appliance I’ve ever owned included at no charge. I don’t think you should have to purchase a top of the line product to get something so basic. It’s too bad because in every other way this product line is very appealing to me.

I’ve read many editorial reviews of Dyson stick vacuums, and every single one of them mentions the trigger feature as a “con.” I think it is utterly bizarre that Dyson ignores all this feedback.