The dc40 is struggles to move on carpet - Suggestions? | Dyson Community
Solved

The dc40 is struggles to move on carpet - Suggestions?

• 4 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi

This is new problem. suction force powerful. dyson struggles to move on carpet. any fix?

did online fault finding…. no help

icon

Best answer by Jack 4 September 2023, 17:11

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hey @sabastian44

There are a couple of things you can check. When you look at the underside of the cleaner head, you should see some rollers on the soleplate, and also on the drive between the two rotating sections of brush bar. Do all of these rollers move freely? If they’re worn or jammed with hair or debris, this could make the cleaner harder to push than normal.

Also if you look at the underside of the soleplate itself, is this clean or does it show any signs of residue buildup? If so, any residue can be removed by wiping it with a soft, damp cloth (make sure it’s fully dry before using the machine).

Making sure the soleplate is clean, and that the rollers rotate without resistance, should both help. Let us know how you get on!

A blocked brush bar maybe? It might be worth covering all bases and giving it a once over. 

Good morning

Thanks for advice.

The rollers are all moving freely. I wiped the base plate. The brush bar turns normally and is clean. Slight improvement but still hard to push. How can I reduce the suction power?

Userlevel 4

Isn’t there a slider on the front of the head. Min or Max setting if I am correct! 

we are having the same problem. Cannot push on carpet. Customer service pretty much told me that it’s my problem. I’m sorry to disagree, but Dyson engineers designed this product. We spent a considerable amount of money on it, Dyson insists that I drive 50 miles one way to a service center so that they can tell me it’s my problem again. They do not offer good customer service, they just want to get rid of you and move to the next. I can assure you that I will never buy another Dyson product, and will discourage all I know from buying one. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

we are having the same problem. Cannot push on carpet. Customer service pretty much told me that it’s my problem. I’m sorry to disagree, but Dyson engineers designed this product. We spent a considerable amount of money on it, Dyson insists that I drive 50 miles one way to a service center so that they can tell me it’s my problem again. They do not offer good customer service, they just want to get rid of you and move to the next. I can assure you that I will never buy another Dyson product, and will discourage all I know from buying one. 

Hi @Anthony Hayes

Dyson should have referred you to their returns policy and recommended that you contact the flooring manufacturer to discuss their own recommendations on the type of vacuum cleaner for use. Vacuums with a rotational brushbar or a high suction can have an adverse effect on more expensive, thicker pile floor types.

This translates loosely in the profile of the cleaner head sitting lower, resulting in a airway seal which in itself means the vacuum is harder to push. While in my eyes the design of Dysons newer vacuums provide an outlet to help negate this, in the form of a slider on the top of the brush head, they’d be hard pressed to product a product for universal use. 

To read their returns policy, visit the Dyson website and look for ‘Terms and Conditions’

David. 

when purchasing the product, we examined the packaging carefully for information as to the best use and limitations of the vacuum. There was no mention of any problem relating to use on thick carpeting. The fact that no adjustable head is available for the model we bought and the above mentioned packaging gives no information as to the designed usage and limitations, clearly shows Dyson is not interested in customers getting the best product for their needs, only that they sell another vacuum. As for customer service, they could start by hiring representatives that can speak English. They could follow up with actually addressing the concerns of the client, not just regurgitating the response lines that are undoubtedly printed for them to say. If Dyson is willing to provide a replacement product that will actually work on carpet, let me know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The material I’m referring is found in the vacuums user manual, it is in the section CARPETS OR HARD FLOORS section. View the online version here - https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/vacuum-cleaners/uprights/dc40.

Putting the material to one side, you’ve purchase a vacuum that is not fit for the purpose you require it. In this instance alone under consumer right you should be able to return it for a full refund. If you didn’t purchase it from Dyson, the retailer will support you. 

If you wanted another model as a recommendation, consider the latest Dyson ball range https://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/uprights/ball-animal. To my knowledge these models have the airslider on the cleaner head like I mentioned. 

David.