How does airflow speed affect the filter life of a Dyson purifier? | Dyson Community
Solved

How does airflow speed affect the filter life of a Dyson purifier?

• 17 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Is Filter life deteriorated same way on different fan speed?

Ex- I am running machine at speed 10 for whole night vs running the machine whole night at spped of 5, so filter life will be deteriorated same on different speeds?

icon

Best answer by Jack 20 November 2023, 15:43

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Ankitm,

Welcome to the Dyson Community!

The filter life indicator on your Dyson purifier is a guide, and shows the remaining lifetime of the filter based on one year’s daily usage of 12 hours purification per day. The fan speed you select doesn’t have an impact on the filter life indicator - so per your example, there would be no difference between running your machine on speed 10 or speed 5.

Setting your machine on Auto mode means it can automatically sense and react to pollution events as they occur.

Hope this helps!

Hello Jack, 

thanks for answering, 

What I understand from “Setting your machine on Auto mode means it can automatically sense and react to pollution events as they occur” is that the filter life is deteriorated on the basis of pollutants present in the room.

In below 2 scenarios i use product 12 hours purification per day -

Scenario 1:  When i use use it 12 hours on auto mode (fanSpeed=2 and aqi=10)

VS

Scenario 2:  When i use use it 12 hours on auto mode (fanSpeed=10 and aqi=100)

QUESTION 1:  Will filter life be deteriorated less in “Scenario 1”, will it not reduce 12 hours life reduced from filters?

QUESTION 2: Will filter life be deteriorated more in “Scenario 2”? Will it reduce 12 hours of life from filters? or what AQI level‘s will reduce 12 hours life from filters?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Ankitm,

The filter life indicator is a guide which is calculated based on usage time. As such, it doesn’t directly link to how saturated the filter is/how many particles it’s captured. In a room where the air quality is poor, you may prefer to replace the filter more often.

I can’t comment on the hypothetical scenarios you’ve outlined as in Auto mode, the airflow speed is controlled by the machine. It will react to a pollution event by boosting the airflow to draw in, purify and circulate the air until the sensors report lowered levels of of the pollutant which was detected. How often Auto mode needs to boost airflow speed in this way would completely depend on the specific environment your Dyson purifier is used in.

Hope this clarifies things!