Pump problems on Dyson Pure Humidify + Cool PH02 and Pure Humidify + Cool Formaldehyde PH04 | Dyson Community

Pump problems on Dyson Pure Humidify + Cool PH02 and Pure Humidify + Cool Formaldehyde PH04

Purchased a Dyson PH02 Pure Humidity + Cool in December, 2021. Shortly after, I noticed that the water reservoir wasn’t going down, indicating that the air wasn’t humidifying. After working with multiple Dyson Customer Service techs who appeared not to know what they were doing, they finally agreed for me to get a new replacement model for my defective one. Because Dyson had no PH02 models in stock, they sent me a replacement PH04 Pure Humidifier + Cool Formaldehyde model. Very shortly after getting the replacement, a warning appeared on the Dyson Link App that the pump was no longer working. Then I was told I would have to wait 5 weeks for a new pump because they were out of stock. Told Dyson this was unacceptable as I needed the humidifier before the end of the winter when it would no longer be needed. I am now on my 3rd humidifier and now worrying that I got an expensive “dud” that may be prone to pump problems. I’ve seen similar pump problem comments on the various internet forums. This seems to be a faulty design by Dyson. What is Dyson doing to make sure this doesn’t become a regular problem as I don’t want to be dealing with this problem when my Dyson warranty runs out?

(Edited by moderator – tags added)

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @pjaglowicz 

Thanks for posting. 

It doesn’t sound like you’ve had the best experience thus far. Sorry to hear that.

Our customer service team use an internal support system to diagnose machine issues. This system accesses a database populated with technical diagrams, machine images and most importantly a set of diagnostic questions. Depending on the input, the adviser is supplied with an outcome, being either a replacement part, repair, or a replacement machine. When making your initial contact, to me, it sounds like they were unable to diagnose the issue you were having, and it subsequently took longer than we would expect. If you can drop me a private message with your market and the service number you contacted, I will make sure that this is fed back, and the team are aware of this case for the future. This will help with future product training and customer care. 

Like many technology industry retailers, a shortage of resources and materials, manufacturing control orders and inflation have impacted our business and production on a global scale. We’re proactively looking into alternative solutions as the situation evolves, but in the shorter term this means that some spare parts may be available in limited quantities. In this instance, I would urge you to contact your local support channel and discuss with them your option(s). They may be able to offer an alternative solution and/or provide an update on the stock time frame. Unfortunately, this isn’t something we have access to via the community function.   

Allow me to assure you that whilst you have encountered these issues, it is not an indication to the overall design of the machine being faulty. Though I can understand why you would believe this and be concerned for the future. We have a very stringent quality control on all our products, parts, and accessories. It is just unfortunate that in your case that you’ve had two machines with separate issues. Rest assured that the Dyson guarantee will support you in the future for any further replacement parts and/or repairs to your machine.

Feel free to contact our local support team via our WhatsApp channel, where one of our team will be happy to investigate this further. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

Please @Me if you have any further question or need any more support. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Stuart, the problems with my two Dyson humidifiers weren’t “separate” issues. In both cases, the pump mechanisms failed. Although one humidifier was a PH02 and the other was a PH04, it’s clear they use the same pump design, and likely the same part. Only after experiencing this problem did I research further any other users problems with pumps on Dyson humidifiers. I found out my experience is not isolated and quite a lot of other users are having “pump” malfunctions. This appears to be a design defect issue and it would be refreshing to hear that Dyson acknowledges it as such. I’m seriously concerncerned, after having spent hundreds of dollars, that I’ve bought a product that is not ready for “prime” time. For one thing, designing the electronics into the pump mechanism so close to the water reservoir seems to have been not at all smart. I read where some users discovered, after the fact, that you can’t place the pump mechanism upside down, as that could lead to water getting into the electronics of the pump. I’m extremely grateful to their having passed that on. I know why they did that. It was to avoid leaving water on whatever surface you set the pump mechanism on. Bottom line - Dyson needs to go back to the drawing board and design a pump mechanism that doesn’t have such a high failure rate, and a good place to start would be to not have water sensitive electronics in the pump mechanism.

I’m having the same issue and had troubles with the bot-driven customer support. Stuart, can you reach me directly? I got a water pump error and then the error went away but water Reservoir is not going down. App does not  recognize any errors but I’m also not getting accurate reads. 

Julie, you seem to have a problem that is a combination of the problems that I experienced with both the PH02 and the PH04 that I had, both of which were under the Dyson 2 year warranty, as I had only purchased the PH02 in December, 2021. The PH02  never did have the pump error message on the Dyson app display, but the water reservoir would not go down, which it should have if it had been actually humidifying the air. Dyson replaced it with the Dyson PH04, as they didn’t have any remaining PH02’s in stock. That one worked for about a week or so, until I noticed the water again not going down. This time I got the pump error message on the replacement PH04. Initially, Dyson said they were back ordered 5 weeks on the pump replacement part. I then told them I wanted my money back because having this many of the same problem is ridiculous, and the idea of waiting another 5 weeks was ridiculous. Dyson sent me out another Dyson PH04, and “knock on wood”, it still seems to be working. Hopefully, yours is still under warranty. I told Dyson that if I have another problem, especially with the pump, I want my money back. The only reason I went with Dyson on the humidifier was because of some good experiences with my Dyson vacuums which I bought for my whole family, and Dyson Hair Dryers which I bought for my wife, daughter, and 2 daughter’s in law. Still think the Dyson Humidifier pumps need to be redesigned as they’re not ready for prime time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I’m having the same issue and had troubles with the bot-driven customer support. Stuart, can you reach me directly? I got a water pump error and then the error went away but water Reservoir is not going down. App does not  recognize any errors but I’m also not getting accurate reads. 

Hi @Julie123 thanks for reaching out. 

Its not the ideal experience that you’ve not been able to reach a member of the local team. I am sorry to hear this.

Luckily we have an array of online support which is designed to be a second line mechanism for our owners. For assistance in this area, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, select your machine from the list, click on the ‘Troubleshooting’ option and then select ‘Display showing an alert’. The ‘Display showing an alert’ screen provides an overview of all these different alert types, their image and description, along with an in-depth step by step process to rectify the alert. 

As you’ve said the Reservoir is not going down, there could be a build up near and/or on the pump column. In the instance that a Deep Clean Cycle hasn’t resolve this, there is one extra step you can try. 

1. Check the base cap at the bottom of your pump for a blockage. This is the small cap is at the base of the pump. You only need to remove it and clean underneath.
    • Sometimes this can become blocked and stops the water from being pulled through the machine. 
Pump Column - Base cap

If none of the above helps in solving the issue, further support would need to be sough from the local team. Though there is an array of different channels you can reach them through, we’d suggest contact them via WhatsApp. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and start a WhatsApp conversation.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Julie, you seem to have a problem that is a combination of the problems that I experienced with both the PH02 and the PH04 that I had, both of which were under the Dyson 2 year warranty, as I had only purchased the PH02 in December, 2021. The PH02  never did have the pump error message on the Dyson app display, but the water reservoir would not go down, which it should have if it had been actually humidifying the air. Dyson replaced it with the Dyson PH04, as they didn’t have any remaining PH02’s in stock. That one worked for about a week or so, until I noticed the water again not going down. This time I got the pump error message on the replacement PH04. Initially, Dyson said they were back ordered 5 weeks on the pump replacement part. I then told them I wanted my money back because having this many of the same problem is ridiculous, and the idea of waiting another 5 weeks was ridiculous. Dyson sent me out another Dyson PH04, and “knock on wood”, it still seems to be working. Hopefully, yours is still under warranty. I told Dyson that if I have another problem, especially with the pump, I want my money back. The only reason I went with Dyson on the humidifier was because of some good experiences with my Dyson vacuums which I bought for my whole family, and Dyson Hair Dryers which I bought for my wife, daughter, and 2 daughter’s in law. Still think the Dyson Humidifier pumps need to be redesigned as they’re not ready for prime time.

Hi @pjaglowicz,

Great to hear that you have been able to get back in touch with the local support channel and they have subsequently sent you out a replacement machine. 

I’ve already been in contact with the development team responsible for the Purifier Humidifier range and have highlighted your comments regarding this element of the machine. Thank you for providing this feedback.

Please do allow me to assure you once again that the issue you’ve encountered it not an indication to the overall design of the machine or a particular part of it being faulty or needing a redesign. In these instances, it is just unfortunate for it to have happened across both your machines. 

The Community has a selection of articles, detailing different features, checks and processes, all of which I believe will help to ensuring your new machine is fully maintained and working optimally in the future. 

1. Setting your Water hardness | Dyson Community - Depending on the water hardness in your area, you may need to increase the frequency of the machines Deep Cleaning Cycles.
  2. Running a Deep clean cycle | Dyson Community - Running regular Deep Cleaning Cycles will ensure your machine is working optimally.
  3. Keeping your purifier performing at its best | Dyson Community - A selection of tips to help maintain optimal air purification in your home.

Thanks, 

Stuart

Stuart,

I appreciate that you have to be careful not to “bite the hand that feeds you”, your being either anDyson employee, or somehow beholden to Dyson, so I understand why you’d gloss over the chance that this Dyson product might have a design defect. I still stand by what I said previously. As for your adding info on “deep cleaning” my Dyson PH04, i only add the second unit for a week or so when the pump error and humidifying problem surfaced, something that never could have been related to a “deep cleaning” issue. Additionally, I only use distilled water, so no mineral buildup requiring a “deep cleaning, and certainly not something needed after only a week or so. Again, the pump mechanism should not have failed in two consecutive instances. I’ll even take a guess that your 5 week back order in fulfilling pump replacement orders is related to defective pumps, likely caused by a design/engineering issue. Customers shouldn’t have their concerns, like mine, glossed over.

Stuart, I have tried that to no avail. I tried reaching the chat line a few times but did not get a response. I also have an email into the customer support team. I would like a new machine but have a sense this will not be an easy process through customer service as my experience thus far has been very disappointing. I also purchased this in December of 2021.

Bottom line: how can I request a refund or new machine to be delivered?

Stuart, I have tried that to no avail. I tried reaching the chat line a few times but did not get a response. I also have an email into the customer support team. I would like a new machine but have a sense this will not be an easy process through customer service as my experience thus far has been very disappointing. I also purchased this in December of 2021.

Bottom line: how can I request a refund or new machine to be delivered?

Hey @Julie123 , can we get you to reach out to our support team directly from Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. We will be more than happy to help you get any issues resolved. Send us a direct message on any of those platforms! 

Julie, here’s a Dyson customer support phone number that I have used in regards to my Dyson PH02/PH04 pump problems (866-861-2521). My suggestion is to call this number, follow the prompts for “air purifier” (or something like that). Then speak to them about your problem. Be sure to get a reference/case number so that there is a “paper” trail for whenever you need to call back and get updates on resolution of your problem. With your having similarities to my experience, if they give you an unreasonable solution (i.e. waiting 15 weeks for a replacement part, expecting you to repair it yourself, their solution doesn’t work, etc.), request escalation to a manager who can authorize a new unit replacement that can be expedited to you, especially in light of your having purchased it only a few months ago. Paul