Purifier - Increase in VOC levels | Dyson Community
Solved

Purifier - Increase in VOC levels

• 12 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi 

I have the Dyson in our bedroom and noticed we had very high VOC levels from 10pm onwards until we got up in the morning. We took away a memory foam mattress topper and then for the next few night it was on green. Since then it has spiked in the early hours of the morning around 4am then comes down. What could be causing this? 

Our room also shows very high humidity which is over 70 every evening. Yesterday we used a dehumidifier and it came down but there was still a spike in the VOC reading. Does the humidity of the room affect it?

We also notice that if anyone has a shower or bath the VOC reading will go up is this normal? 

Thank you 

Jenny

icon

Best answer by DavidTaylor 12 October 2021, 15:20

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Jenny1982 

Have you looked in the Knowledge Base? if not, there are a couple of articles that talk about VOC.

“Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs - Cleaning products, perfumes, cooking, burning fuels and scented candles.”

Reading your comment, I feel something in your house is increasing the VOCs. 

Just a few thoughts.

Overnight. Is your window open? Is someone cleaning before bed?

Bathing and showing. Perfume and soaps?

Dehumidifier. Capturing the VOC and releasing it overtime maybe? 

It all sounds normal to me.

David.

Userlevel 1

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply. I can't think of anything we do before bed that might change it. However I have had the windows open the last few nights so maybe it's something from outside. I'll close them tonight and see what happens. 

Jenny

Userlevel 1

So I closed the windows last night and VOC stayed on green all night. Humidity was still slightly high between 60 and 70 but that's lots better than it has been. 🙂👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @Jenny1982,

I’ve done some research on my side and have created an article that might help out.

Why am I seeing an increase of VOC in the winter months?

@D.Taylor has got it right. When bathing and showing, what’s potentially going on is the chemicals used are being released in gaseous form. 

If this is a concern, you could use trial and error. Two suggestion I could make are, changing the products you use and/or introducing more ventilation in the bathroom when washing.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Userlevel 1

Hi Stuart,

That's great thank you. 

We have recently moved and need to fit an extractor fan in the bathroom at the minute we just have to open a window and there is a small air vent above the shower. 

Since closing the window at night there hasn't been any high VOC detection. So hopefully once we get this extractor fan sorted that will stop them being brought into the home. 

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes,

Jenny

Hi 

I am having dyson air putifire in our bedroom. Usually in the night we close all windows and 4 people sleep in one bedroom with split AC on. My purifire shows very high VOC level every night and in the morning it reach normal after we open windows. What could be the reason and how can I solve this issue. 

Hi 

I am having dyson air putifire in our bedroom. Usually in the night we close all windows and 4 people sleep in one bedroom with split AC on. My purifire shows very high VOC level every night and in the morning it reach normal after we open windows. What could be the reason and how can I solve this issue. 

Have you read Why am I seeing an increase of VOC in the winter months? | Dyson Community. You’re closing the windows, with four people sleeping in the room. It’s probably caused by overnight body emissions. Solve it by keeping a window open or by creating a through breeze. Open a window in another room or don’t isolate everyone into the one place.