How our engineers test the Dyson Pure Cool™ purifying fan | Dyson Community
AIR TREATMENT

How our engineers test the Dyson Pure Cool™ purifying fan

• 22 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Other air purifiers are only designed to pass a chamber test. We don't think that is good enough.

Some manufacturers of conventional air purifiers gauge their performance using a laboratory test method called ‘Clean Air Delivery Rate’. It is conducted in a compact chamber, with an added fan to circulate the air – and only one sensor to measure air quality.

Dyson air purifiers go further - Dyson air purifiers are designed to work in real homes. So we’ve developed the POLAR test, based on a large living room size, with no added fan. Nine different sensors collect air quality data throughout the room, so we can make sure it purifies every corner. This is why we want to make it an industry-standard test.

Dyson Air Multiplier™ technology projects purified air to every corner of the room. So you know that wherever you are in the room, the air around you is purified.

Related community articles

How do I understand the pollutant levels and colours on the graph?

What are the common household pollutants?

How Air Quality changes throughout the year

What is off gassing and what causes it?

6 replies

Interesting. They’ve tested to 27m2, with positive results. I wonder how large the space would have to become before it would be ineffective. 

Interesting. They’ve tested to 27m2, with positive results. I wonder how large the space would have to become before it would be ineffective. 

Existing models seem to be created for domestic purposes only, anything larger than 27m2 may boarder in a commercial/business setting. it would be more beneficial if they developed a model for this purpose.

Other air purifiers are only designed to pass a chamber test. We don't think that is good enough.

Some manufacturers of conventional air purifiers gauge their performance using a laboratory test method called ‘Clean Air Delivery Rate’. It is conducted in a compact chamber, with an added fan to circulate the air – and only one sensor to measure air quality.

Dyson air purifiers go further - Dyson air purifiers are designed to work in real homes. So we’ve developed the POLAR test, based on a large living room size, with no added fan. Nine different sensors collect air quality data throughout the room, so we can make sure it purifies every corner. This is why we want to make it an industry-standard test.

Dyson Air Multiplier™ technology projects purified air to every corner of the room. So you know that wherever you are in the room, the air around you is purified.

Related community articles

How do I understand the pollutant levels and colours on the graph?

What are the common household pollutants?

How Air Quality changes throughout the year

What is off gassing and what causes it?

I am excited to try something new.  I have breathing difficulties and wld love purified air.   I tried original cool me but it was so bulky for bed side table I wasn’t over impressed and when I cldnt order replacement filters I felt that it needed to be returned as agent had no idea when and if stock wld be available    So I’ve waited till now to purchase it’s replacement.   Nothing worse than buying today and hearing about a new launch tomorrow.    I will read all articles on this community page I have just joined so I am armed and ready to purchase something new when it’s headed to uk.   I just put two options in my basket but will now wait till I have read all your posts and ensure I am fully informed before deciding on one or waiting for something new heading to uk 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@R.Pageant

It seems that they have newly launched the Big + Quiet machines recently for that reason. This machine purifies upto 100m2 sized rooms.

If you’re finding a machine suitable for a bigger sized rooms, the Purifier Big + Quiet seems to be an optimal option.

I read that dyson hepa filters are made of glass and the air purifiers emit glass fibres into the air from yhe hepa filter especially when they are new. Now this is worrying as the glass fibres are carconigenic to the lungs. Does anybody else know anything about this..

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I read that dyson hepa filters are made of glass and the air purifiers emit glass fibres into the air from yhe hepa filter especially when they are new. Now this is worrying as the glass fibres are carconigenic to the lungs. Does anybody else know anything about this..

Hi @An Fiodan,

Thanks for your question! Whilst it’s true that our HEPA filters are made of borosilicate glass fibres, there isn't any evidence that any of these are emitted by the product. The glass fibres are tightly packed into the filter paper and bound with an acrylic resin. This paper is then pleated and glued into a rigid filter housing. 

Our product is known through industry standard methods to reduce respirable particulate matter from the air, so it can be used to reduce exposure to particulate matter pollution.

Hope this helps!