What are the common household pollutants? | Dyson Community
AIR TREATMENT - COMMON QUESTION

What are the common household pollutants?

• 4 October 2021
  • 3 replies
What are the common household pollutants?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The types of invisible pollutants that can build up in your home include:

PM10 - Pollen and allergens

PM5.0 - Bacteria

PM2.5 - Smoke, industrial emissions and burning candles 

PM0.1 - Ultrafine particles

Formaldehyde - Produced from Carpets, Rugs and Hard Flooring. Other (Painting, varnishes and printers)

Odours - Household fumes and cooking

Benzene and Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs - Cleaning products, perfumes, cooking, burning fuels and scented candles

Nitrogen dioxide - Road traffic, tobacco and fuel-burning heaters

To read more about how our Purifiers sense, report particles and gasses, in real time, and purify the home, click on our Indoor air pollution link.

Related community topics

How do I understanding the pollutant levels and colours on the graph?

How Air Quality changes throughout the year

What is off gassing and what causes it?

Aren't pollutants just outdoors?

3 replies

Can you direct me to more detailed information that could help to identify any potential sources of pollutant types detected?

(And also to help determine if additional steps I might take to rectify some persistent source of pollutant have been effective too)?

For example, in my bathroom the HP07 Hot + Cool Purifier is reading poor for PM2.5 and very poor for PM10. The humidity has been sitting in the 50-60% range the entire time it has been operating there. The levels for VOC and NO2 are zero. There isn't a window in there; nor any smoke or candles, and no plants producing pollen. I could guess at perhaps this must be from some mold somewhere - would that register on the PM10 sensor? Bacteria? Also, what else might effect the PM2.5 reading? Dust? Cleaning and cosmetic products? It took a while to register these higher levels and in that time all I did was wash my hands once. Therefore I assume it took a little while for the sensor readings to 'warm up' rather than an actual decrease in air quality occurring.

I just submitted a reply post here that is yet to be reviewed by the moderator but I have a relevant update to add. In my previous reply, I speculated that the sensors on my new HP07 purifier might not register as many particles etc until it had been running for a while (i.e. implying a much longer timeframe than 20 minutes). But I was wrong! I actually found that there was a faulty appliance in the next room that had started emitting smokey-looking fumes and the air quality readings were reflecting as and getting progressively worse.

Dyson, you may have just saved my life!

Thank you for the information.

I am thinking about to purchase the new Dyson purifier Dyson Purifier Big+Quiet™ Formaldehyde (Satin Dark Blue/Gold).

But on Dyson Australian official website I could not find information about whether this purifier can remove the indoor chemicals in the air result from smoking cigarette/tobacco - in particularly carbon monoxide (CO)? If so, how efficient it removes CO from the air in an indoor place?