Cleaning of tiny wheels from V15 - Any suggestions? | Dyson Community

Cleaning of tiny wheels from V15 - Any suggestions?

On my V15, the little wheels underneath the rollerhead gather hair that gets wrapped up. This results in the wheels being unable to move which messes up the steering and scuffs my wooden floor.

To clean, I have to slice the hair around the little wheels and pull it out little by little. This is way too time consuming since this has to be done after every few uses.  I feel like the roller head needs a different wheel design.  Either that or create a way for the wheels to pop out for easier cleaning. I can't be the only user who sees this as a major problem. Any suggestions, shall I unscrew that part to get this cleaned? It dseems odd that this was not thought-through?

14 replies

Hello @sandy 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Our Dyson engineers put as much care and attention into developing our tools and accessories as they do into the machines themselves. 
In most cases, pieces of string or other objects gets wrapped around your vacuum's rotating brush/roller and around the wheels of the vacuum that can interfere with the performance of your machine. I have added the following link for you as a step-by-step guideline on following a few checks for your floor tool here 

For ease, I have also added the following link if you ever wondered which accessory is best for each cleaning task here 

If you need further support after this, please get in touch via our WhatsApp channel and one of our team will be happy to discuss the next steps. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

Happily, we will be able to assist you. 

Regards,

sorry not helpful as this is not what I am referring to at all !

What a useless reply. Dyson might well have not bothered. I agree, those wheels are terrible. We have two long haired dogs. They are constantly getting clogged up. I now do a pre-vacuum with the long pipe tool connected. Getting up the surface hair before using the main head. I’d suggest the same but it really depends if you have time to vacuum twice. 

You’ll have to make it part of the weekly maintenance, every time you empty the bin!  

Userlevel 5

Maybe the answer here from @Charliebrown might help

Maintaining the Laser Fluffy Head | Dyson Community

Hi @sandy 

Thanks for reaching out.
The best solution at the moment would be to use tweezers, small sewing scissors, or even a smaller pair of needle-nose pliers.

These can all be used to remove hair or any long fibers from those wheels. If you periodically have a look at the underside of your cleanerhead, removing them as you see them can prevent them from becoming a larger issue down the road. 
Please don't hesitate to respond below if you need any more help. 
Regards, 

And that's what I've been forced to do but somehow illogical when you pay that orice for a hoover…

Thank you 

I can’t understand why they doesn’t solve this huge problem. I will not buy another Dyson if they don’t.

With two cats theese small wheels cloggs after only one vaccum and often get stuck causing streaking and marks on my wooden floors. 

It took them ages to get lights that others had for years (great for cat litter) but only for one head. I have mounted own lights on all of my heads and that is way better.

Dyson fix theese small wheels and put lights on all heads! We don’t need fancy laser light, strong LED works just fine!

@Mike68 is this the soft roller or the floor head with the brush style bar? 

Brush style

Brush style

I think this is only really common with people with lots of pets. Excess hair around the home etc. Apart from general maintenance, there isn’t a way around it. That is unless you do a pre-clean of all the hair. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. 

Brush style

I think this is only really common with people with lots of pets. Excess hair around the home etc. Apart from general maintenance, there isn’t a way around it. That is unless you do a pre-clean of all the hair. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. 

A way around is making a better product where theese tiny wheels are bigger and easy to clean.

They did great not getting hair stuck on the brush but it is a likewise big problem with theese tiny toy wheels.

It is a ridiculous problem. Without taking the wheels off, my best success in getting the little hairs out has been by using cuticle nippers. Revlon Full Jaw Cuticle Nipper. Takes a long time to do, but a mindless activity that you can do when you are bored.

I found the little wheels in my anti-tangle head super tight. I genuinely thought that I’m going to brake something while taking them out. The first and second time I took the four screws that hold the suction control thing in place. Then you can push the axels out from the other side with a screwdriver. Now they’ve loosened up a bit so I just take a hook and put it under the axle and pull real hard.

Yes, this is absolutely a design flaw.  I use an Exacto Knife and it takes me a good 15-20 minutes to get the dog hair off the little wheel axles.   No way to pop them out or access them even if you remove the screws.  Terrible.