V6 cordless servicing - Value for Money (Input welcome) | Dyson Community
Solved

V6 cordless servicing - Value for Money (Input welcome)

• 21 October 2023
  • 4 replies

I regularly pop in and check on an elderly Lady neighbour, on one occasion she was having her V6 serviced.

On another visit the following week I was asked to dispose of a new vacuum cleaner carton, I queried why having spent £75 on the V6 service, she said it had stopped working almost immediately after his visit, she didnt want the fuss of complaining.

She asked me to dispose of the V6, I detest waste and looked as best I could at the V6, the head had not been cleaned, the new filter had no dust whatsoever on it and nothing in the bin.  It charges up OK, the blue lights go out, it fires up immediately, no lag but cuts out within 3 seconds, put it back on charge and the lights go out very quickly, so can I assume the battery is good ?, also the suction on that very short run time us strong.

It peeves me to dispose of it as I don’t subscribe to this throw away society.

Any suggestion ?

Regards MS

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 27 October 2023, 17:27

View original

4 replies

@maxspeed  Hi there. A few things may be going on.

There may be a blocked airway. You will know that’s the case if the machine is “pulsing/revving” - if so, use these steps to resolve:

1.  Please load up and follow along with this guide: "checking-for-blockages" . Video Below:
  2.  Please ensure you check the bin inlet for blockages behind the internal ‘flap’.

In the inlet the wand connects to the clear bin there is a tiny flap. Tilt the machine up and down while looking into the inlet. Does the flap open and close freely? If it's stuck, please remove and wash the bin and poke it with your finger until it moves freely. Make sure the bin is 100 percent dry before putting it back on.

This video can guide you in removing the bin:

Next, if the machine is NOT revving - then pick it up off the charger and see if the light flashes more than 10 times while holding the trigger after it powers off. If it DOES, then a battery replacement is needed. Thank you.

You may also find further support on our How do I troubleshooting an issue with my Dyson? | Dyson Community article. 

Thanks, 

Adam. 

Hello Adam.

Regards any blockage, I have removed everything before and after the motor, even the sponge in the outlet side,  so there is no restriction whatsoever.

I am no stranger to battery powered equipment,  but in carrying out the routine you suggested, the blue lights do flash 12 times,  which you state is a battery problem and yet it powers up to full speed immediately and cuts out without any reduction in speed.

As I mentioned, my aged neighbour paid £75 for a service and within a week it suffered the circumstances as above,  rather than complain she purchased a rivals machine.  Personally I would have complained but she did not want the ‘hassle’.  The quality of the service was shocking as no attempt was made to clean the powered roller. 

I will have look out of interest at the motor speed and check any reduction at the point of cut off and at the same time will attach a volt/amp meter to measure the drop in the battery supply.

Regards M.S.

Userlevel 5

If they’ve paid for a service via Dyson, they’ll have a 1 year guarantee. Worth speaking to whoever serviced it to see if they’ll cover any new parts. If they’ve not had it service by Dyson, you’ll have to speak to them and see what options they have. 

I’d recommend visiting their websites diagnostic script. It will tell you what is recommended. I’d start on this link - 

Jay

To the best of my knowledge it was via the DYSON company, I will enquire when I next visit her,  however it is out of any warranty period, whilst I was given it to dispose of weeks after the agent serviced it, I placed it my garage and only lately resurrected it as I had a clear out,  from my well into bus pass age you may derive I detest waste and a disposable society.

It incensed me that this Lady had been taken advantage of, yes a brand new filter was installed and that was about it, shortly after, this problem arose,  DYSON products are by no means cheap, nor is the servicing but it suggests if you invest in one be prepared for the costs of upkeep.

Regards MS.