V10 Animal - brand new battery is HOT! Ideas? | Dyson Community
Solved

V10 Animal - brand new battery is HOT! Ideas?

So I received my V10 for Christmas in 2022. Just needed to replace the battery - but it’s HOT! The handle is hot! The base of the battery is hot! Just about 10 minutes of use on the freshly charged, and impeccably clean unit. Filters have been awaiting the new battery delivery.

Was a little shocked so I grabbed my meat thermometer and it’s a great thermometer and the external temp was over 120 degrees. 

anyone else have this happen? 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 8 August 2023, 15:00

View original

11 replies

@fastlanejane Never heard of it before. Did you buy the replacement battery from Dyson? If not, it could be inadequate… 

Hello @fastlanejane 

Thanks for posting a question to the wider community. So sorry to hear that you are experiencing this with your replacement battery.

A new battery should not be overheating at any point and we firstly need to find out where you have made your purchase for the battery as well.

In another instance, if a machine heats up the filter may be clogged up and need a clean or there may be a blockage within your Dyson.

I have added the following link for you to do a few checks here and also more insight on your battery here

If any of the above did not resolve your issue, I would encourage you to reach out directly to us and one of our Representatives will look into this problem for you. To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’. 

Regards,

Hi Jerry. 
Thank you for your kind response. Yes the battery was indeed replace by the manufacturer. 

I’ve been very diligent about making certain the filter is in fact clean and dry on this unit. Special attention paid in this type of equipment is necessary for longevity of the device. 

I’ve used all the information and videos I can find with regards to troubleshooting and have tried everything! The device itself was purchase as a gift (best gift in my book) for Christmas. The battery quit taking a charge probably back in June of this year so I finally reached out to Dyson to have the battery replaced as the unit is still under warranty. The previous battery did NOT heat up like the new one. But it was clearly dysfunctional. 

So now with the new battery the unit blows excessively hot air through the clean filter, the handle gets excessively hot and the battery itself is overheating. 

I’m at a loss as to what an acceptable temperature is for the battery. I’m hugely concerned that it will combust in my hand. And I’d also like to vacuum in more than ten minute increments! I’m fast at house cleaning but not that fast! 

Hi Musfeekah, 

Thank you for your message. 

The battery came direct from the Dyson manufacturer.  Easily installed. And I have educated myself with all the troubleshooting tips and guides provided by Dyson.

I am starting to wonder if this unit might have deeper issues than just the battery. Sometimes things happen during manufacture or delivery, or gremlins that cause a unit to not perform as expected.

My husband purchased the vacuum at our local Target as a Christmas gift in 2022. Honestly at this point I’m feeling like I can’t trust an over heating battery and can’t watch the unit charging! So I’m stuck.

Please feel free to offer suggestions! 

I’ve never heard of it overheating, not to say that it won’t. Try it in another socket and failing that, go back to Dyson. maybe they can send you a new battery or charger. 

Give the owners manual a read over, I remember seeing something in there about operational temperature. If in doubt, don’t use it… 

Userlevel 5

I echo what @JerryT said. If you’re worried, stop using it! Dyson provide a 2 year cover on their stick vacs. If you got it Christmas 22, you should be good until Christmas 24. Give Dyson a call and have them replace the other components. 

Manufacturing has certain requirements and manufacturing standard that need to be met, so I’m sure this is a one off. If I were you, I’d ask they to replace the battery and trigger component. That way all the electrical parts have been replaced. 

Hello @fastlanejane 

Thanks for the prompted response.

As you’ve raised concern over using your machine, I’d recommend not using it and I encourage you to make contact with Dyson directly. A Dyson rep will assist you further, including diagnosing any underlying issue and advising on the next course of action.  

To do this, simply click on our Guides and manuals link, navigate to the ‘Contact us’ section of the page and select ‘Start a WhatsApp conversation’.

If you still need any further help regarding this, don't hesitate to respond over here. 

Regards,

Thanks Bob! 
sadly the new battery from Dyson did not

correct the issue and the sad state of affairs is that my husband and I are feeling frustration with having spent so much time on what should be an easy task!!! 

I’ve sent my concerns and requests up the chain and hopeful that Dyson remedy this sooner rather than later.

Thanks again.

Dear Dyson Community Moderator, 

I need to share my feelings on my experience with my Dyson V10 Animal vacuum received as a gift. . . 

I am disappointed. Not only with the product but with the way it has been an ongoing barrage of emails, me contacting not less than ten different individuals within the company. Via email, Online Chat Tech Support and then trying WhatsAPP.

My email today notified me now that I not only had to do the work to get a response, I’ve now got to rebuild my over $600 gift. With a REFURBISHED cyclone body. HAHAHA this is actually laughable. With the initial complaint and issue being OVERHEATING while using. Heck I don’t trust the vacuum to sit on the charger without adult supervision>

Bottom line, this is not a brand I can recommend to anyone who asks due to the experience I have had with the product, the dozens of emails to just get a battery, that I had to replace, to now being informed that I will additionally need to spend time “installing” new parts.

Just one person, one customer, hmmm, with what will be a refurbished vacuum that I put together and pray will work . . . THIS TIME! 

I guess I expected more from this overpriced rechargeable vacuum. At the very least a replacement that I didn’t have to build. 

Thanks for listening. Perhaps I am not the only individual who has experienced this, just one who had the balls to stand up for herself and put my dissatisfaction in writing.

There is always some level of reparability to Dyson. Parts are usually free and you do have to replace them yourself. This is covered in the guarantee. They’d only ever book a repair or an engineer if there unable to diagnose the problem. Not to simply construct a machine.. If you ordered a replacement part from the internet, they wouldn’t come and connect it for you. 

Putting the problem you had to one side, they’ve told you the solution and offered the part. I for one am struggling to see what the problem is here. Nothing in like is a guarantee, parts fail, tax goes up. At least they’re supporting you with a solution. 

I appreciate your viewpoint. I imagine my point of view from my experience sounds silly. 

I will say, there are some “guarantees” in life. What I choose to purchase in the future in fact is a guaranteed!