Flaw in the Dyson Wash G1 - Explained | Dyson Community
Skip to main content

I recently bought my first Dyson g1 from the Dyson store and have encountered a significant issue that needs to be addressed. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of finding a solution and also to raise awareness for others who might be facing similar problems.

My Experience:

After following the provided instructions to the letter, I started noticing that the base of the unit was leaking water around where the rollers were mounted. I didn’t catch this initially, and it ended up damaging my wooden flooring. I contacted Dyson customer service, and they promptly sent out a replacement.

Second Machine, Same Problem:

With the replacement machine, I followed the exact same setup and cleaning process. However, after just one use, I discovered my floor was once again wet the next morning.

My Cleaning Process:

1.    Fill the top bottle with water.
    2.    Clean the floors using the lowest setting only (never used any other setting).
    3.    Return the machine to the docking station.
    4.    Empty all bottles and refill the water bottle to the max level.
    5.    Run the self-clean cycle.
    6.    Remove and empty both water bottles.

Where Things Get Interesting:

7.    After self-cleaning, I refill the top water bottle and attach it back to the machine to have it ready for the next use. However, this seems to be where the problem arises. Nowhere in the manual or instructions does it explicitly mention that the water bottle should only be filled moments before cleaning. It appears that leaving water in the machine between uses allows it to soak into the rollers, potentially over-saturating them and causing leaks on the floor.

My Concerns:

This seems like a critical design flaw, as it results in water leakage that can damage flooring. The problem could either be due to a lack of proper user guidance or a failure in the product design to prevent saturation of the rollers when water is left in the bottle post-cleaning.

My Questions to Dyson:

1.    How can I fix the over-saturated mop rollers? Right now, it seems that this issue will persist and continually cause water to leak.
    2.    Where in the manual does it state that water should only be added immediately before use? If this is not specified, it should be clearly mentioned to prevent similar issues.

Next Steps:

I am considering returning the machine and waiting for a potential future version that addresses this flaw. As a former product designer, I feel this issue has been seriously overlooked.

Of course, it is possible that I have been unlucky and received two faulty units in a row. However, given my experience with both machines, I am inclined to believe that there is a systemic problem with either the product design or the user instructions. I urge Dyson to address this issue promptly and provide guidance to existing customers.

I experienced the same problem today. Left it with a full water tank overnight and it’s been slowly leaking. I thought I’d use the machine to mop up the water that it’s leaked but it seems it’s no longer able to extract / pump water into the waste bottle and is just spraying water onto the floor.

It was good that the machine decided to run again today as I purchased the machine yesterday and was only able to get one run out of it before it was giving me an error “empty the waste bottle” even though it was empty / only very slightly filled. It would throw this error whether cleaning or doing the self clean cycle.

Think I’m going to return this as if this is a sign of things to come from a $1000 machine, I’m out. Imagine when it’s out of warranty!

Yeah in the design world it’s called “usability issue” or “misalignment user assumptions”. I’d love to hear the arrogant design lead try and explain this away. This product might end up as badly planened or as unsuccessful as their headphones.

Still waiting for Dyson to reply to this….