Dyson v8 Soft Roller Cleaner Head spins and then stops | Dyson Community
Question

Dyson v8 Soft Roller Cleaner Head spins and then stops

• 16 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all!

My Dyson soft roller head is behaving in a really weird way (link to video):

• The head spins for around half a second before abruptly stopping as if its hitting something and getting stuck.

• The motor itself seems fine as it spins freely when the roller head is not installed.

• I cleaned out hair from the spinning parts attaching the roller in place.

• There is no clear obstacle that the roller is hitting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on what to do?

Thanks!

4 replies

@SoftRollerCleanerHead  Hi there, the first step is to open up the head and remove the roller bar (use a coin to open up the end cap on the side) - then check for debris. If you’ve done that already, I’d conclude that the motor in the motorized head is faulty and that head will need to be replaced. 

@SoftRollerCleanerHead  Hi there, the first step is to open up the head and remove the roller bar (use a coin to open up the end cap on the side) - then check for debris. If you’ve done that already, I’d conclude that the motor in the motorized head is faulty and that head will need to be replaced. 

Did you check the video? The motor spins fine when the roller is not in place. Do you still think it could be the motor? I also cleaned the thing and there is no obvious debris blocking the roller from spinning.

@SoftRollerCleanerHead This video can guide you - it shows the other head (the bristled one) - but it’s the same process. The only other thing to check would be the electrical contacts on the main body of the machine.
Also, it would be useful to know if one of the (2) motorized heads spin and the other does not (which would indicate the one head is bad).

@SoftRollerCleanerHeadThis video can guide you - it shows the other head (the bristled one) - but it’s the same process. The only other thing to check would be the electrical contacts on the main body of the machine.
Also, it would be useful to know if one of the (2) motorized heads spin and the other does not (which would indicate the one head is bad).

The other motorized head works fine so it’s not a problem with the vaccuum cleaner itself. Also, the video I linked is my video (don’t know if I was entirely clear about that). So, the motor spins but for some reason the roller gets stuck when attached.