Apple Homekit Integration | Dyson Community

Apple Homekit Integration

• 31 October 2021
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

I'm going to be honest. If you're looking for a smart home ecosystem, Apple Homekit is the last one you'd want to use for a number of reasons (and I am a die-hard iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac user.)

First, Apples ecosystem is an extreme version of a walled garden, meaning in order to get approval to be used within Homekit you have to be approved by Apple, which is EXTREMELY difficult with Apple's stringent security standards (not a bad thing for customers but research and development dollars are stretched thin with most tech companies to start with.)

Second, most companies don't see a financial gain in doing so, so there is very little return on investment. Do a little research and you'll soon discover that very few tech products say Apple Homekit. There is a reason for that. It's COST $$$

Finally, both Google and Amazon Alexa offer full integration for both iPhone and Android users alike, so there is little incentive to go after the Apple approval. Alexa is my go-to simply because it is so well developed, working with nearly all smart prodcuts on the market today, from lighting to air purifiers to thermostats. Google is also an excellent choice although they don't have have as wide an ecosystem as Amazon does, their voice integration is much smoother and organic than Alexa's making communication easier. With Alexa you have to give specific commands that seem unnatural at times compared to Google. Either way you're going to be happy.

It’s 2024. Hoping for some update :/ 

We just bought the big+quite BP04. Costs about 1000 EUR. Quite frustrating in 2024 Homekit is not supported for a smart device that expensive. The app is only useful if you have that device as an ornament. We have tons of devices and everything uses automation etc. and everything works in harmony. Only dyson is the exception.

Is there like a beta channel where we could test a release, if dyson is already working on this? I would love to help as a beta tester if it would speed up the process. It doesn’t matter if all features of the device are present on the homekit, for me setting the fan level or auto, switching on and off the device and the air quality metrics would be sufficient. 

Screenshot below is what I use with the Homebridge project, but unfortunately BP04 is not maintained. E.g. if you click on Oscillate, it crashes. probably because it doesn’t need to have an oscillate mode. 

I’d expect Dyson to provide a solution to this and not some free OSS developer. 

Well, it’s been two years + now since the integration with Apple HomeKit queries appeared on the site here and yet still it would appear that Dyson have no interest in licensing from Apple and are still intent on only offering their valued customers who own one or more of their overpriced products, a ‘shortcut work around’.

Disappointing at best from a company with such high self esteem!

Well, it’s been two years + now since the integration with Apple HomeKit queries appeared on the site here and yet still it would appear that Dyson have no interest in licensing from Apple and are still intent on only offering their valued customers who own one or more of their overpriced products, a ‘shortcut work around’.

Disappointing at best from a company with such high self esteem!

Even the app is very basic, I wonder what their “thousands of engineers” are doing im sure this consists of software engineers.  

I agree. I don’t quite see how integration will be possible on pre-existing Dyson products. 

I’d welcome this function becoming available at any time and on future products. I’d even purchase one that advertised this as a feature.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

As you can imagine, we're somewhat limited on releasing news on any technical specifications. Right now, we don't have much we can share on any future developments which might become integrated with existing Dyson technology.

I would definitely suggest keeping your eye on our website for any upcoming announcements. If any information should become available on the possible future of Apple Homekit integration, I'm confident our Community Manager @Stuart will share more information if and when it becomes available. I'll also make sure I share what I can.