Does the Dyson Supersonic contain teflon (PTFE) | Dyson Community

Does the Dyson Supersonic contain teflon (PTFE)

• 24 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, we are getting a rescue parrot soon and we were wondering if the Dyson supersonic contained teflon (ptfe) as this can be harmful to parrots and other birds   - thanks

Jack 10 months ago

Hello Stuart, could you please post an update to this if you have received it? Thanks.

Hi @jackgopack4,

I’ve just responded to your separate question on this topic. But just for full visibility - Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a material used in the manufacture of many common items around the home. It has good chemical and heat resistance, and a low friction coefficient which makes it a good choice for sliding or moving parts, as well as a number of other benefits. Certain components of Dyson machines may be made of, or contain, PTFE.

We can't provide assurances on individual Dyson machines or specific components, I'm afraid.

I’m sorry I can’t provide a definite ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on this, but hope the information is useful. 

View original

6 replies

Hi @dmac99 

Thanks for posting. 

As this isn’t a question I see daily, I want to make sure I provide you with the correct information.

I’ve contacted our engineer team for confirmation. Although it can take up to 24 hours for a reply, I would rather that, than provide any incorrect information right now. 

I’ll come back to you as soon as I have an answer to share. 

Thanks, 

Jodey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @dmac99

I have a quick update.

It’s taking a little longer than we hoped to get an official answer, so we don’t have anything to share just yet. 

Once I have one, I’ll share it directly. 

Thanks, 

Stuart

Thanks Stuart and Jodie :)

Hello Stuart, could you please post an update to this if you have received it? Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @jackgopack4,

I’ve just responded to your separate question on this topic. But just for full visibility - Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a material used in the manufacture of many common items around the home. It has good chemical and heat resistance, and a low friction coefficient which makes it a good choice for sliding or moving parts, as well as a number of other benefits. Certain components of Dyson machines may be made of, or contain, PTFE.

We can't provide assurances on individual Dyson machines or specific components, I'm afraid.

I’m sorry I can’t provide a definite ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on this, but hope the information is useful. 

Dyson doesn’t even know what its own products are made of?

PTFE, when heated, can release chemicals that are toxic to birds (and humans) at temperatures as low as 315 degrees Fahrenheit. Birds are sensitive to these chemicals much more than humans and have died from this. 

it’s very disappointing that Dyson refuses to confirm whether or not its products, which do heat to high temperatures, contain this chemical which in all other contexts is still safe and useful as you mentioned.