"New" Dyson V15? | Dyson Community
Solved

"New" Dyson V15?

• 21 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I just bought a Dyson V15 today, April 21, from Costco. I came home and unboxed everything. Everything seemed new but when I plugged it in and turned it on to make sure it worked, the particle counter already showed quite high numbers. How is it new then? I feel scammed!

icon

Best answer by Jack 23 April 2024, 14:20

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @sjelinski,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and congratulations on your new Dyson V15 Detect™ vacuum!

The particle counter begins counting as soon as you begin vacuuming. It then resets itself after 30 minutes of inactivity, so it wouldn’t be possible that the figures you’re currently seeing on the LCD screen could have come from a previous user before you purchased it.

As you continue to use your machine for day to day vacuuming, you’ll be able to get a sense of what the normal particle count levels are for the environment you’re cleaning, and how they vary depending on where you’re using your machine, and for how long. 

Hope this answers your questions, but we’re here if you need any help getting started with your new machine!

But the picture with the counter was taken before the vacuum had ever been used. How is it already showing those numbers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @sjelinski,

As the particle counter resets 30 minutes after the cleaning session ends, it’s not possible that those figures relate to anyone else’s usage of this machine. The values shown on the particle counter in your photo would be completely consistent with your machine being run on your floor for a few seconds to test it, as you’ve outlined. 

It's also possible a small quantity of cardboard fibres from the machine's assembly, testing and packaging process could cause an initial spike on first use. This would quickly clear as you continue to use your machine.

Hope this helps!

Ah that makes sense about the cardboard fibers...thanks for your response!