Uninstalling the Gen5 Detect Wall Dock | Dyson Community
Solved

Uninstalling the Gen5 Detect Wall Dock

• 13 December 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi, I have a Gen5 Detect Absolute stick vac and wish to move the wall dock. How do I uncouple the wall dock from the back panel without breaking it. It is the type that slides down and clicks in.

Thanks, Mike

icon

Best answer by Jack 11 December 2023, 18:07

View original

17 replies

Hey @Mikekall 

If it’s anything like the V10 dock, it should just slide up and off. You’ll need to unclick it at the bottom first. A light pull should do it.

It’s a reverse action of what's in this video. Skip to 1 minute exactly. It shows the front of the dock being clicking into place. 

Jay

Userlevel 2

Thanks JayJay, but it’s a different dock. Mine doesn’t have the swivel at the top, it just slides down and clicks in place. The clicking in was by an angled barb type lug on each side, which would be against the grain when trying to undo it. There must be a way, but I can’t think of it.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey! Doh. I thought they would all be the same! Sorry @Mikekall

The new designed intrigued me. I searched and found a Australian web page that might help.

Support & How to Guides for your Dyson Gen5 Detect | Dyson Australia

Userlevel 2

Thanks again JayJay. I’ve been through all of that previously but I can’t find anything that addresses uninstalling it. Time to contact Dyson directly I think. Appreciate your help though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @Mikekall

This one took me a little by surprise. I wasn’t aware that the dock design had changed. I now know 😁.

In an effort to help find an answer, I’ve spoken to our wider team and found a video showing the installation of the dock. How to set up the docking station for your Dyson Gen5detect™. This video only shows for those in the markets where the machine is sold. If you have trouble viewing it, please do let me know. 

The dock’s front plate clicks into place at the very top, meaning there aren’t any clips or leavers to undo at the base. It should lift away by sliding it upwards. These can be somewhat tight, so medium force from the base might be needed to remove it. Please make sure all the accessories and the machine is removed before unclick the dock.

Hopefully this helps. 

Stuart

Userlevel 2

Thanks Stuart. The video is helpful in that it clearly shows the problem. At the 20 second mark of the video, you can see the angled lug on the side of the baseplate and at the 32 second mark you can see the triangular and oblong parts that the baseplate lugs click into. It was OK clicking in because the angled lugs went with the triangle shaped part of the main dock allowing a bit of flexibility to nicely seat them together above the oblong part. Reversing this though looks to be impossible as the angled lugs would surely break if any upward force is  applied. I appreciate your help but the problem still remains.

Thanks and regards,

Mike

To remove it: I gave mine a sharp smack on the bottom. popped right off. I agree it, poor design, but I could still remove it.  

If it arrives pre-fitted: There isn’t a way to pry it apart once it’s together like that. You’ll need to have Dyson send you a new dock. 

Userlevel 1

I've filed both clips and removed about 2mm on each side. It works perfectly. Easy to remove the backplate with a mild force whilst still provide enough locking when installed on the wall.

Therefore it should be easy to remove from the wall in future when i upgrade

I've filed both clips and removed about 2mm on each side. It works perfectly. Easy to remove the backplate with a mild force whilst still provide enough locking when installed on the wall.

Therefore it should be easy to remove from the wall in future when i upgrade

I had to rip the wall plate from the wall! this is ridiculous! What if you are moving? I was trying to take the dock off the wall plate as it was leaning out of the wall. The whole thing had to be ripped drywall and all! I pretty much had to break it to get the back plate off and get to the battery cord etc. this costs way too much for these issues 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi all,

In instances where the main body of the Dyson Gen5detect™ vacuum’s Wall dock is difficult to remove from the backplate once affixed to the wall, a firm knock to the bottom of the Wall dock with a solid blunt implement will dislodge the main body from the backplate, allowing removal from the wall. We advise against using a sharp implement such as a hammer, or using the palm of your hand.

If you need any support with your machine’s Wall dock, please contact Dyson Customer Care directly so our experts can take some additional details. The quickest way to get in touch with our experts is to Live Chat through our Digital Assistant. Once you’ve clicked the round purple button on Dyson.com you can start a conversation with an agent by clicking the agent icon at the bottom left of the chat window. 

Hi Guys,
I finally got these 2 plates separated of wall mounted dyson gen5 charging dock.
please watch my video to find out I how got this removed. video link below

THAT IS GREAT BUT HOW DO YOU SEPARATE WHEN SCREWED TO THE WALL?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi all,

In instances where the main body of the Dyson Gen5detect™ vacuum’s Wall dock is difficult to remove from the backplate once affixed to the wall, a firm knock to the bottom of the Wall dock with a solid blunt implement will dislodge the main body from the backplate, allowing removal from the wall. We advise against using a sharp implement such as a hammer, or using the palm of your hand.

If you need any support with your machine’s Wall dock, please contact Dyson Customer Care directly so our experts can take some additional details. The quickest way to get in touch with our experts is to Live Chat through our Digital Assistant. Once you’ve clicked the round purple button on Dyson.com you can start a conversation with an agent by clicking the agent icon at the bottom left of the chat window. 

Hi @davidp,

The advice I’ve provided above should help, but if you need further help you’re welcome to reach out to Dyson Customer Care directly as suggested.

I created an account just to leave this message.  I truly abhor your mounting system for the Gen 5.  every other part of the vacuum i love, truly and deeply.  I have loved all previous dyson products and found all mounting systems to be truly innovative.  This mounting system, for this gen 5 vacuum, i say without malice or ill will or need for revenge, but a simple piece of advice to dyson for assured future quality of product:  fire whoever designed this mounting system, immediately and without recourse to repair, without any feedback or any reason whatsoever, because they do not deserve to be anywhere close to dyson, or even near a dyson.  my fingers are nearly bleeding after trying to take this apart.  I always put mounts together to check for operability before screwing anything into a wall, and in this instance I installed it on the side of a bookshelf, so luckily i was able to dismount the nuts i used.  but to remove the bottom plate i had to have one person hold the bottom screw up while i shimmied two screwdrivers, held one in my mouth, and pushed on the bottom screw to pull the plate out.  I have only experienced such pain over ten years ago when installing/uninstalling cheaply designed chinese implements that i for obvious reasons no longer use.  this mounting system, or perhaps more accurately this mounting torture device, is the single worst piece of design i have encountered in over a decade.  i am so infuriated that i took shears and cut off large parts of the two plastic nubs, in the hope that the next time i need to unmount this i will not need to smash it in its entirety with a large mallot, which i believe would still give me some amount of satisfaction, but will not in the larger scheme of things serve me well in the aim of remounting the gen 5 in a more suitable position, or heaven forbid, if i decide to sell it ...

Can you please post a video showing striking the wall mount on the bottom to enable removing the mounted charger from the wall. This action looks dangerous and I would like to get an idea of how much force is required to open the charger mount without breaking the lugs.

I feel this is a very poor design especially when the previous design seems so good. What was the problem that it had to be changed?

Kind regards,

David

This issue is not solved. I created this account for the same wall mount issues. It destroyed the drywall!