HP07 running non-stop in Auto mode | Dyson Community
Solved

HP07 running non-stop in Auto mode

Badge

I recently got an HP07 and run it in Auto mode. I’ve noticed that it’s always on even with AQ being good. I previously had an HP02, which would stop completely when AQ was good and then start back up as needed. I’m wondering whether this is expected behavior for the HP07, especially given that filter life will likely be shorter with it running continuously vs intermittently.

(Edited by moderator – Tags added)

icon

Best answer by Stuart 19 April 2022, 11:36

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

10 replies

You say that it is showing as ‘Good’ but has it met the Auto Target yet? 

Mine only turns off/standby when it reaches this target and not the ‘Good’ reading alone. 

Picture of my App graph..

Badge

Yes, even while below the AQ target. Looking at it a bit further, the fan is running at a very low speed (below the sound made by level 1 when running it manually) so maybe that is intended? I just remember that the HP02 would be completely silent once the AQ target was met and it was more clear that it was indeed off because the digital display would go blank (and then show the fan level when turned back on, even in Auto mode).

Ahh - I’m almost sure this is the continuous monitoring feature. I remember switching it off on my machine as it kept blowing small drafts of air through the night. 

Switching it off should make a difference.. 

Badge

I turned it off and that made no difference. Also, I recall the HP02 also had the continuous monitoring option and I had that on (and HP02 still turned complete off in Auto mode once AQ met target). It seems continuous monitoring doesn’t require the fan to be running, that it monitors the ambient air.

I’ve just tested my HP09 and DP04, both set In auto, with the target met, they are still producing a small amount of air. This is with the Continuous Monitoring switch off. 

My partner had switch the air direction to come out the back. Hence why I hadn’t realised this. 

I’d guess this just the expected behaviour. The displays do change to show different levels of detection. Maybe this is the way the machines test the air for increases.. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

hi @acousticbiker

I’d agree with Kibbleb, it is just the expected behaviour.

I have a small/minimal airflow from my machine when it is in Auto. I’m sure this is caused by the machine motioning the air for changes.

David.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @acousticbiker

Thanks for posting this question. 

Both David and Kibbleb are correct. A minimal ‘airflow’ may still be felt from our purifier range even when the Auto target has been met and the machine is in a paused state. This airflow is caused by the machine’s motor, where it is pulling in air and analysing it for changes.

As this information was missing from our ‘Using Auto mode’ article, I have updated it. The ‘Air quality’ section now includes the following line of text. 

Air quality: your machine will pause when the target air quality has been reached, switching on again when the air quality levels drop. While in this paused state, a minimal airflow will be felt. This is caused by the machine’s motor, where it is pulling in air and analysing it for changes.

This should hopefully assist anyone in the future with a similar question and set this expectation for anyone reading the article. 

To show our appreciation in helping to identify this information was missing, which subsequently led to an article being updated for the future benefit of the community, I’ve awarded you the ‘Community Builder’ badge. This is awarded to our members that are recognised for implement a wider change across the community. 

Thank you. 

Stuart

Badge

Thanks for jumping in and clarifying, Stuart! Now that I understand that is the intended behavior, I wonder whether you would provide feedback to the product engineers on this:

• The HP02 didn’t do this (was completely silent with no detectable airflow once AQ target was met) and seemed to be equally as responsive to changes in AQ
  • Given this, the continuous minimal flow seems to be using extraneous energy and may decrease the lifespan of the filter and I wonder whether the HP02 approach could be considered?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for jumping in and clarifying, Stuart! Now that I understand that is the intended behavior, I wonder whether you would provide feedback to the product engineers on this:

• The HP02 didn’t do this (was completely silent with no detectable airflow once AQ target was met) and seemed to be equally as responsive to changes in AQ
  • Given this, the continuous minimal flow seems to be using extraneous energy and may decrease the lifespan of the filter and I wonder whether the HP02 approach could be considered?

Hi @acousticbiker

I’ll pick the first point up with the team in our next internal development session. Thanks for highlighting. 

I can happily answer the second point.

When the machine is in auto mode and reaches the ‘Auto Target’, it goes into a paused/idle state.

While in this state, the filter life is not affected. This is still true even if the machine is pulling in an airflow and analysing it for changes. This is because this air is not being activity purified.

Should the onboard sensors detect a change in the air quality, above this ‘Auto Target’, then the machine will being to purifier the air.

The filter life will therefore only decrease if the machine beings purifying.

If you wanted to read more on how the filter life is calculated in the App, our ‘ How is the filter life calculated and displayed in the App?’ common question article can help. 

Thanks, 

Stuart