How is the filter life calculated and displayed in the App? | Dyson Community
AIR TREATMENT - COMMON QUESTION

How is the filter life calculated and displayed in the App?

• 23 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Dyson machines calculate the filter life by using a very simple metric. Total filter life, divided by 365, divided by 12. (4380 hours / 365 days / 12 hours).

This gives the filter life an average value of 12 months, based on the use of 12 hours per day.*

This is further based on the value of Carbon and Particulate matter in the environment and not overall fan speed.

If the in App graph shows the Carbon and Particular matter in the environment as a 1 and the machine has been operating for an hour, then the 12-month filter life stands. This is on the average of 12 hours a day. Should the Carbon and Particular matter be more than 1, and the machine is being used for the average of 12 hours per day, then the overall filter average may decrease.

If the machine is idling in auto mode, then the filter life is not affected.

This filter life is then displayed as an overall percentage in the App.

This counts down based off of the above metric and usage. * Tested for filtration efficiency at 0.1 microns (EN1822). Gaseous capture rates vary.

2 replies

One more question:

If I travel and cut the power for the machine for certain amount of time, will it be added back to the filter life calculation when I come back and restart the machine running? 

Or it is 12 months (based on 12-hour usage/day) no matter what, use it or not. Even though for instance you stop using it for 1 month when you are travelling. 

Thanks in advance. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

One more question:

If I travel and cut the power for the machine for certain amount of time, will it be added back to the filter life calculation when I come back and restart the machine running? 

Or it is 12 months (based on 12-hour usage/day) no matter what, use it or not. Even though for instance you stop using it for 1 month when you are travelling. 

Thanks in advance. 

The machine has to be in use for the calculation and filter counter to start/continue. If the machine is off or idle, it isn’t counted. Likewise if you’ve owned it for a considerable time before activating it on the app, the filter count starts afresh. 

I personally think the year is only really a recommendation. If you were to use it half the time as above and it prompts you to replace the filter, you’d be fine to continue doing using it.

Charlie.