High Pitch Sounds Dyson Purifier Cool Formaldehyde TP09 | Dyson Community

High Pitch Sounds Dyson Purifier Cool Formaldehyde TP09

• 20 December 2022
  • 43 replies

Show first post

43 replies

Hey there,

i guess anybody who has/had a Dyson knows this Issue of a whining or beep-sound that shows up at especially lower Fanspeeds.

I have the PH04

Really don´t know if this is a solvable Issue, or if this comes also with a Exchange-Unit/Device, as i read a lot about it.

How are your experiences with this Problem?

Thanks

Kristofer

Userlevel 5

@kristofer. Defer to the pinned answer above. 

@kristofer. Defer to the pinned answer above. 

Thanks Bob! I know this humming Sound which comes with the continuous monitoring. But we all know, that our Sound isn´t this humming. 

For everybody who hasn´t had this issue i created a little video to imagine this Sound a little bit better.

Just imagine this whistling occuring at 2 o´clock in the night, when you have your Dyson in automatic mode and waking up from this sound. 

Guess im calling the hotline today to get a repair.

Thanks

I have this exact issue with my 3 week Tp09.

I'm afraid it's a known design flaw, using impellers creates this sound due to the high RPM. It's creating turbulance. 

Dyson have a video on YouTube where they try and eradicate the sound.. they use Helmholtz cavitys to prevent it on this video.

Possibly a firmware update where the rpm fluctuates to prevent the noise. By raising the fan speed to 10 and 1 a few times gets rid of the noise for a few minutes. 

I'm not impressed as Dyson aren't holding there hands up and saying yep we got it wrong.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have this exact isuse with my 3 week Tp09.

I'm afraid it's a known design flaw, using impellers creates this sound due to the high RPM. It's creating turbulance. 

Dyson have a video on YouTube where they try and eradicate the sound.. they use Helmholtz cavitys to prevent it on this video.

Possibly a firmware update where the rpm fluctuates to prevent the noise. By raising the fan speed to 10 and 1 a few times gets rid of the noise for a few minutes. 

I'm not impressed as Dyson aren't holding there hands up and saying yep we got it wrong.

@Stuart 

Heyhey88,
The issue I’m experiencing is not what the Dyson engineer describes, 
If that was the case, the high pitched sound would have been constant.
In my case the sound appears intermittently after some hours of running, almost like a bearing runs out of grease.
Check the video I posted before.

Hi Stuart,

Here is a link to the video demonstrating the noise of the TP09 we are discussing here.

As you can observe the noise changes intensity with the speed of the motor.
And as I was saying.. sometimes it goes away when going into higher speeds for a bit, but not always. Most of the times I have to leave the machine off for 10-15 mins for the noise to disappear (to cool down? PS. not operating in extremes temperatures by any means.. 25C-30C).
This is clearly coming from the motor unit.

The noise that you are talking about from the continuous monitoring is a CONSTANT one and very very low intensity which is not the case here.

I have the same problem .

It’s pretty common.
Not only that but they need to approve every thread/message just to control the damage.
My new Big+Quiet thread has not been approved yet and i got auto-replay mail saying that i need to contact support.

Hello everyone. I seem to have the same issue. I bought mine just recently and it’s been doing this sound  in the video. Blocked filters is for sure not the issue as it’s pretty much new.

Dyson Fan Noise

Does only the TP09 have this problem? I also have the HP09 and it does not seem to make that noise.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s pretty common.
Not only that but they need to approve every thread/message just to control the damage.
My new Big+Quiet thread has not been approved yet and i got auto-replay mail saying that i need to contact support.

What’s in your big+quiet thread?? 

It’s pretty common.

What’s in your big+quiet thread?? 

Nothing because they didn't even approved my thread. . If you want to post freely about Dyson you go post on the Reddit forum , not here.

My final update to the community. I give up at this point. I ended up trying chat on the website and was able to get my replacement processed.  I’ve had the replacement for almost 1 month and the same squealing noises I’ve experienced with the previous 2 replacements still persists.   @Stuart  just so you are aware, the fixes that were supposedly made to the newer models have not resolved the issues and I’m not sure how they pass the test process but as I suspected nothing has changed.  In addition there is another sound being produced that is less aggravating but none the less is unexpected and did not occur with the previous models.

Have you got new or refurbished units as the replacements? My experience with Dyson is also not great to be fair. Only refurbished (repaired) machines work as expected, my TP07 produced exactly the same pitching noise and Dyson tried to stall me in exactly the same way as you, their customer support is outsourced and apparently following the script, they know nothing about the product and they don’t care. I recorded the video and told them to escalate the issue, they replaced TP07 with TP09 refurbished, so now, I have 3 refurbished fans in the house and all of them are great so far but I am not confident in Dyson fan quality to be fair. I’ve read somewhere (Reddit I think) that it was a bad batch bearing but Dyson never organised a recall or anything, typical grabbing hands attitude, well.

@Jay ,got my machine back from the service, they said the motor assembly was replaced (after 2 months).
so far no more bearing noise (1 week)
but seems like after 4-5th speed there is a louder whining impeller noise than before, unfortunately cannot compare so it might be just an impression.. still cannot believe how loud it is and how someone thought this is acceptable!

But yeah…. QA seems to be quite poor.
Also the design philosophy seems quite wrong. They favor form over function and end up overcomplicating a fan that looks fancy but introduce very complex issues in the process. 

I mean.. this device is useless as a fan, at speed 10 is louder than a kitchen extractor and the airflow is less than my 60E Airmate fan at lowest speed that is whisper quiet.

And as a purifier.. well I never heard a purifier being so loud, I understand ..this one “projects” the air but at what cost??? 

And we keep seeing those tests and how great it performs at cleaning the room but they never mention how long it takes and at what speed and how loud it is compared with competition.

So yeah.. sorry for the rant but after all this expense and trouble for a purifier.. need to blow some steam.
In conclusion … highly doubt I will ever buy or recommend again a Dyson purifier/fan that prioritize form over function.

PS. Thanks @Stuart for your assistance!

Userlevel 2

My final update to the community. I give up at this point. I ended up trying chat on the website and was able to get my replacement processed.  I’ve had the replacement for almost 1 month and the same squealing noises I’ve experienced with the previous 2 replacements still persists.   @Stuart  just so you are aware, the fixes that were supposedly made to the newer models have not resolved the issues and I’m not sure how they pass the test process but as I suspected nothing has changed.  In addition there is another sound being produced that is less aggravating but none the less is unexpected and did not occur with the previous models.

Have you got new or refurbished units as the replacements? My experience with Dyson is also not great to be fair. Only refurbished (repaired) machines work as expected, my TP07 produced exactly the same pitching noise and Dyson tried to stall me in exactly the same way as you, their customer support is outsourced and apparently following the script, they know nothing about the product and they don’t care. I recorded the video and told them to escalate the issue, they replaced TP07 with TP09 refurbished, so now, I have 3 refurbished fans in the house and all of them are great so far but I am not confident in Dyson fan quality to be fair. I’ve read somewhere (Reddit I think) that it was a bad batch bearing but Dyson never organised a recall or anything, typical grabbing hands attitude, well.

@krisdeb thanks for sharing your experience.  I was told all 3 of my units were new. The last one was supposed to have been a “new design” where they corrected the flaw.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @TP09_user,

Thanks for your comments - I just wanted to clarify that after locating your post relating to the Dyson Big+Quiet™ Formaldehyde purifier in our pending filter, this has been approved and published. You can find it here:

Please be assured no one is trying to suppress your opinion here! If you need further help with your Dyson TP09 purifier, we’d encourage you to continue your conversation with Dyson Customer Care as they’re best placed to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

My current TP09 has just started squealing. Its heatwave in the UK so its been on speed 7 for a good few hours which seems to have triggered it. :( 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Don’t fall for the lie it’s been fixed. Last year I went through 3 brand new TP09 units and they all did it. Just the other day I bought the TP07 fresh stock recently delivered to Best Buy on August 27. It was fine for the first 2 days and then the noise has started. I thought moving down a model might be the fix. They ALL develop the noise and Dyson continues to get away with it. It’s going back and I am no longer trying any more.