Cordless V15 Detect: dust canister gasket gets dirty when emptying it | Dyson Community
Solved

Cordless V15 Detect: dust canister gasket gets dirty when emptying it

• 15 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I’ve recently bought a V15 Detect Total Clean and I’m very happy with it.

I have a question about emptying the dust canister. For context, I’ve reviewed the instruction manual that came with the vacuum and more Dyson documentation available online, which includes some tutorial videos. I’m confident that I’m emptying it correctly, following the standard procedure.

I empty it over a rubbish bin, by sliding the cylinder along its rail. The flat opening is facing the bottom and it opens automatically letting the dust fall out of the canister. When I do that, I can always see some fine dust residue collecting on the rubber gasket on the movable lid.

This especially happens on the smaller inner gasket. The one which, when the canister is closed, seals around the the inner cylinder, where the long suction tube and different heads are connected when the vacuum is fully assembled. See images:

I try to clean it manually with a dry piece of kitchen paper before closing the canister, but I can’t remove all the dust. When I close the canister, that inner gasket seals around the inner cylinder and seems meant to shut close on some openings. Because of the dust buildup, these are getting very dusty on the inside. See next images:

I suppose that I’m wondering if that is normal. Because of how the canister is to be opened, I think it’s unavoidable for dust to fall on top of the inner gasket. But It seems odd that then dust would end up inside those vents, since they seem meant to be sealed.

Can you please tell me if I’m doing something wrong, or if it’s normal?

Do you know what those vents are supposed to be? Or are they even vents at all? Maybe they’re just non-functional gaps in the structure.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Jack 3 January 2024, 17:36

View original

This topic was closed to comments. To ask a question, please create a new topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @they_re_good_vacuums_brent,

Welcome to the Dyson Community, and thanks for your query and images. I’m glad you’re so happy with your new Dyson V15 Detect™ vacuum, and I can reassure you that from your pictures, this is totally normal.

As you vacuum, dust, debris and hair go through multiple stages of separation. Coarser dust particles and fibres collect in the clear bin, before the airflow passes through the perforated metal shroud. Fine dust and allergens are then removed from the airflow by the array of small conical cyclones at the top of the cyclone pack.

The fine dust captured by the inner cyclones exits the machine from the points you’ve referred to as vents, so you may see it on the seal - in addition to dust from the outer clear bin which may come into contact with the seals during the normal emptying process.

It’s nothing to worry about, but you’re welcome to use a soft cloth to wipe the seals after emptying the machine if you prefer to do this. The pre-motor section of the filter unit helps protect the motor from ingress from any stray dust particles in the system.

Hope this helps! 

Hello,

thank you for the answer and for all the technical details.

That makes sense! I’m glad I’m not emptying it the wrong way!

All the best,

Tom